A&H

Take 10 minutes... ok, make it 35

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
Guessed it already? There will be a question but need the incident first.

60 seconds of madness in a Step 7 league game yesterday. 55 minute mark, innocuous throw in to the attacking side, whites. Blue defender decides to grab the ball to slow it down (losing 3-0 and hopeless) White asks for it, blue refuses so captain tells him to hand it over and take his position.

Instead blue whips around and throws it forcefully into white’s face from 2 paces away. Easy red.

A different blue comes in shouting the odds. Told to button it, but carries on and picks up a dissent caution and I tell him to go to the bin. He refuses “Its a yellow. You don’t go off for a yellow”.
I remind him it’s a sin bin. “ It’s not rugby. We don’t have those.” Tell him again to go and have 10 minutes, but he shouts in my face “You’re a OFFINABUS”

Don’t worry about the bin, go get a shower instead. Down to 9 men permanently for stupidity.

The question regards Whole Game report. All dissent cautions now ask if player was sent to the sin bin. What does sent mean in this context? Physically in the bin, or told to go?

I wasn’t sure so marked it “no, not sent to sin bin” and in the free text box explained that before leaving the field he was sent off for OFFINABUS.

This is one thing that wasn’t covered in any of the briefings. Interested to hear thoughts or get a formal response

The Referee Store
I'm confused? You obviously sent him off for offinabus so why report it as a sin bin at all?

Or have I misunderstood something

Showed a dissent caution initially which requires the bin. OFFINABUS came after but before he left the field. Two separate pieces of misconduct.

Ah I misread it then

In that case it's a sin bin yellow plus red card for offinabus. He commits the 2nd offence after the dissent.

The caution for dissent was still issued prior to the red, so needs to be reported.

If I remember rightly from our training, don't sin bin cautions equal a suspension? I may have imagined that??? Anyway, if this is the case presumably the dissent yellow must be recorded as a seperate incident?

Thought a screenshot would be easier to understand.
F08EFF19-DBAF-49FB-82DE-97B224C3BDD6.jpegThe drop downs show C2 (Sin Bin) and a separate C2.
There’s a free text box lower down.

In this instance I selected C2 and in the box at the bottom wrote that he didn’t go to the bin because he was subsequently sent off for S6.

If I remember rightly from our training, don't sin bin cautions equal a suspension? I may have imagined that??? Anyway, if this is the case presumably the dissent yellow must be recorded as a seperate incident?

I don’t think so. IIRC there’s no fine either.

I missed the number 5. I'm sure we were told that 5 sin bin cautions would incure a ban but again in doubting myself.

Could be right, the fact they’re keeping tabs on it suggests there’s some sort of totting-up procedure. Saying that it could purely be for stats to prove it’s working.

Could be right, the fact they’re keeping tabs on it suggests there’s some sort of totting-up procedure. Saying that it could purely be for stats to prove it’s working.

Yes good point. I've noticed a decrease in dissent this year. Maybe it's just the threat of ten mins in the sin bin that helps but I've had 7 middles and 2 lines this season and no sin bins. Not even close to one.

I think my local WFA stated the yellows all count in the totting up process. The difference is that a sin bin offender doesn't get fined by the FA.

I like the fact that the yc means the offending team loses that player for 8-10 mins in the game in which the offence occurred. I hope this evolves to all yc.

Thought a screenshot would be easier to understand.
View attachment 3708The drop downs show C2 (Sin Bin) and a separate C2.
There’s a free text box lower down.

In this instance I selected C2 and in the box at the bottom wrote that he didn’t go to the bin because he was subsequently sent off for S6.
C2 (Sin Bin) is for players, C2 is for substitutes/substituted players who give dissent but are not on the FOP.

I think my local WFA stated the yellows all count in the totting up process. The difference is that a sin bin offender doesn't get fined by the FA.

I like the fact that the yc means the offending team loses that player for 8-10 mins in the game in which the offence occurred. I hope this evolves to all yc.

It seems to be having a positive effect from what I've seen. My only concern is that dissent yellow cards contributed to the local FA coffers, and that it may be abandoned in the future if that income cannot be recouped elsewhere.

It seems to be having a positive effect from what I've seen. My only concern is that dissent yellow cards contributed to the local FA coffers, and that it may be abandoned in the future if that income cannot be recouped elsewhere.
This was discussed in my sin bin seminar, and the tutor did say that the funding gap was being covered by the FA for a certain number of years. But yes, what happens after that point, I don't know....

C2 (Sin Bin) is for players, C2 is for substitutes/substituted players who give dissent but are not on the FOP.

AND for players in leagues/comps not using sin bins - eg Isthmian Under 18s as I have mentioned previously - and of course all those leagues/comps above the 'threshold' for sin bin use.

Back