A&H

Junior/Youth Swearing

Aled

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I had an incident today in my U12 cup match where a player thought he was fouled but really it was an excellent tackle, the player then proceeded to say "He's a dirty fu**ing ba***rd" to a team mate quite blatantly and loud, obviously this is S6-OFFINABUS so I showed a red card to him, was this just me being harsh or the right call to make?

The Referee Store
Personally I'd have probably had a word with him if it's just a reaction to a tackle and heard far worse said after a tackle lol.

May I add that I've had swearing issues with the club before and the players had been warned pre-match about swearing

May I add that I've had swearing issues with the club before and the players had been warned pre-match about swearing

You shouldn't have preconceived ideas before the game. Every game is a new game, and you deal with the issues on THAT pitch at THAT time, not becasue what happened last time.

With regards to the red card - although correct in law, going by your description, I wouldn't have issued a red. What would your match control be like if you didn't send off the player, compared to if you did? In my eyes, "Number 9 - keep it shut" or something like that would have done the trick.

I'd already told the player to be quiet, I've checked my match notes

Only you can tell if red was the correct thing, however I have also sent players off for similar actions, as well as publicly rebuking a player - all depends on the situation.

However, one thing I wouldn't take into account is the fact that it is an U12 match, if anything, that makes it worse.

Then job well done. He challenged your authority, you acted correctly in law and by the sounds of you maintained good match control. And harsh or not, it was accepted by both teams and you cannot ask more than that! Hopefully the offender learns a lesson about behaviour on the pitch.

Not to say that this is the course of action every time this happens (every game and incident is different) and sometimes a stern and visible telling off might do the trick, but that will come with experience. For today you made a strong decision and it worked. :)

I've got them at the end of the month so I'll find out then if the player has learned his lesson.

Remember when that game comes: Fresh game, fresh start! Although a quick kindly word of reminder pre match about your expectations around language and behaviour probably wouldn't hurt!

I will have a quick word with the team and the player just to remind them about language

You shouldn't have preconceived ideas before the game. Every game is a new game, and you deal with the issues on THAT pitch at THAT time, not becasue what happened last time.

I disagree entirely. If you know something about a team and a player in particular going into it, then by all means use that knowledge to control the match to the best of your ability. I can tell you that this is how it is done as you get up higher in the structure.

I disagree entirely. If you know something about a team and a player in particular going into it, then by all means use that knowledge to control the match to the best of your ability. I can tell you that this is how it is done as you get up higher in the structure.

I've had players who one minute are absolute saints at one game, and an absolute idiot at another. It's all about adjusting yourself. I'm not saying you don't use your previous knowledge, I am saying, don't go looking. For example "That number 10 was an absolute idiot last game, I'm going to book him straight away in this one".

You're getting very defensive Ryan, why does one have to take such a tone?

I wouldn't book straight off unless it's a very silly foul that deserves a YC otherwise he gets a polite word off me just to remind him about the previous game and what happened

I've had players who one minute are absolute saints at one game, and an absolute idiot at another. It's all about adjusting yourself. I'm not saying you don't use your previous knowledge, I am saying, don't go looking. For example "That number 10 was an absolute idiot last game, I'm going to book him straight away in this one".

You're getting very defensive Ryan, why does one have to take such a tone?
I don't think Ryan is advocating booking a player immediately because you have seen him before, but what he is saying is true. As you go up the ranks and referee the same teams regularly, you do get to know who the 'problem' players are, and which players need more 'care and attention'. Even if it just means talking a bit more with a certain player to let him know that you are watching. Don't go in looking to book a certain player, but don't ignore it, if you know that a player is regularly problematic. Anything to make to easier to manage!

I've got them at the end of the month so I'll find out then if the player has learned his lesson.

Well I would hope not... Assuming you sent the card in he will be receiving a nifty little fine and a 35-day ban, so you might not see him next time.

Well I would hope not... Assuming you sent the card in he will be receiving a nifty little fine and a 35-day ban, so you might not see him next time.
They only gave him a 2 match ban but his club are not playing this week due to bad weather so he won't be available next week anyway

Back