A&H

Swansea v Bournemouth

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
Did anybody else think Ki should have been sent off for his push in the handbags incident?

The reason for asking he pushed the referee (S Atwell) into the Bournemouth player. Should this have been considered an assist under the new guidelines issued this year?

The Referee Store
Video of the incident: https://streamable.com/vjyxx

Attwell does put himself into the middle of the situation (rarely recommended), and his "punishment" is to be shoved from behind by Ki (who is utterly flabbergasted at actually receiving a card!). Attwell's position definitely does not absolve Ki's behaviour, but goes to show what can happen when you do involve yourself in such a situation.

i would have sent white 4 off
Although, it is a pushing offence more than violent conduct, that said, anyone does that to me on the park and am sending them off, and classing it as VC even though, in all honestly, its not an act of violence.

White 4 (Ki) had absolutely no chance of reaching Jordon Ibe without going through the referee. As a result, I would have dismissed him.

However, I would have only cautioned Ibe. His was a stonewall AA IMO. Ki would have known he couldn't get to the player as well which makes his behaviour even more silly.

Maybe he just didn't understand enough English!! :(
I don't they will go back to ban him but maybe in referee 'assaults' they should?? Not sure that Atwell saw anything as it was behind him!!

Maybe they can charge him???, Atwell booked him for AA and clearly didn’t see the push on himself... here’s hoping they do! He never saw the push!

Textbook example of why we're taught not to get stuck in the middle of a mass con. Should certainly have been a red for Ki, but without assistants (and without Ibe to break his fall, who fortunately kept his head when the ref flew into him!), the ref could easily have found himself on the floor with no idea who had pushed him.

Also, forget "not speaking English", I'm fairly sure that's a F-bomb coming out of his mouth in response to being shown yellow - disappointing that the ref bottled two decisions regarding him in the space of seconds and let him stay on.

The ban would be far longer than a normal 3 game ban so they can act.

Expect the FA to blame FIFA for not acting being able to act upon it retrospectively.

I have already said I would given a red for this. However, can I just throw out there that, had Ki pushed the opponent the way he pushed the ref, I would be going yellow. We all have an unwritten rules that you would not push the ref, but, can we factually class it as violent conduct just because its against us, as opposed to an opponent? There is of course no special dispensation re pushing the referee or an opponent in the LOTG......

That is a good question: where did the unwritten rule about touching a referee originate?
As for this incident, I was a bit indignant that more wasn't made of it on MOTD. I think it's an uncomplicated red card for violent conduct. He used more force than an AA caution is meant to cover, in my opinion. I suppose you could say the presence of the referee was an aggravating factor, but for me he should have walked regardless.

I just don't see it as an act of violence. For me, its a push. My inner concern over my rationale though is, I would give a YC every day of the week if he pushes opponent, yet he does that to me and am going red. Strange one !

I hate to say it but every time I see Atwell he doesn't seem up to it :(
He does not have control here again. He just doesn't have the authority IMHO.

I've seen him at Bramall Lane a few times and he's not unto the Championship never mind the Prem!! One of the weakest of the current crop!!!

I'd be going red here, i see no difference between this and when Di Maria grabbed Micheal Oliver vs Arsenal in the Fa cup and was dismissed for his actions at Old Trafford?

I'd be going red here, i see no difference between this and when Di Maria grabbed Micheal Oliver vs Arsenal in the Fa cup and was dismissed for his actions at Old Trafford?
But Di Maria was dismissed for a second caution in that example. Looks different to me.

Back