A&H

Sure its been asked before, but cant find a thread

Rye87Ref

Level 7 Referee
Attacker takes a shot at goal in the defending penalty area (A good clean shot). Skyes it and the ball is way out of play when defender comes in and takes him out. Pen or no pen?

The Referee Store
Ball is out of play so a penalty cannot be awarded. The defender however should still receive any disciplinary sanction that the challenge deserves.

Depends on how late the challenge is. If the ball is still in play you could and should sell a penalty.

Howeve as stated in OP, you say the ball is well gone. If the challenge is that late and the ball is clearly out of play, the question is - is that violent conduct? (That would depend on how bad the challenge is also)

Last edited:
No penalty are the ball is out of play but depending on the severity of the challenge (careless, reckless or excessive force) you can still take disciplinary action (just liek everyone else has said lol)

Surely if the ball is that far out of play then any defender that decides to take him out has come in so long after the shot was taken that he is in all probability guilty of violent conduct, albeit disguised as a challenge? Can't watch the ball position and the challenge at the same time so I'd sell a penalty and a yellow unless it was really obvious that it was an off the ball challenge; in which case goal kick and red card. That's how I'd handle it anyway.

An interesting variation of opinion. It was a while ago that this happened, and it has (touch wood) only happened to me the once. The shot was taken from only 7 yards out so was clearly over the line by the time the defender went sliding through him. I gave a GK and didnt give a card. In hindsight I think I would have given GK but booked the defender. It would have been a booking at any other time.

Surely if the ball is that far out of play then any defender that decides to take him out has come in so long after the shot was taken that he is in all probability guilty of violent conduct, albeit disguised as a challenge? Can't watch the ball position and the challenge at the same time so I'd sell a penalty and a yellow unless it was really obvious that it was an off the ball challenge; in which case goal kick and red card. That's how I'd handle it anyway.

What do you mean "that far"? If it's out at all, it cannot be a foul. Could have literally only just crossed the line.

I think he is referring to the distance the ball has travelled before the challenge comes in as a measurement of how late the challenge was.

Yeah but he seems to be suggesting that if the ball doesn't go out very far, he would still give the pen.

Yeah but he seems to be suggesting that if the ball doesn't go out very far, he would still give the pen.
Until the day science gives me the ability to upgrade my eyes to the point where I can track the exact moment the ball crosses the goal line while simultaneously doing the same for the exact moment the challenge (which is moving in an opposite direction) is made then yes I would. As I'm sure we've all pointed out, we're only human.

Luckily, the LOTG gives us recourse: check with your assistant as to whether or not the ball had crossed the goal line before the incident occurred and restart accordingly.

Luckily, the LOTG gives us recourse: check with your assistant as to whether or not the ball had crossed the goal line before the incident occurred and restart accordingly.

more hobnob choking from those on here who believe that CAR's are the devil's spawn

You are like a dog with a bone about this CAR thing. Are you chairperson of the CARs are people too society? :D

Completely forgot about CARs, they're banned by most leagues in Scotland! If you had one of course check with them.

Back