A&H

Supply League Postive Covid Test

Justylove

RefChat Addict
One of the teams that plays in the Supply League that I operate on has announced that 2 of their players have tested positive for Covid.

Them and the opposition team are now isolating and have both had to cancel upcoming fixtures and training.

Both currently affected players are apparently displaying mild signs.

It's a sign of how disrupted this season could become if we have fixtures postponed due to positive tests in teams.

The Referee Store
What about the refs? Are they isolating too?

I don't think we will finish this season either, weather and isolations will mean leagues don't get finished... Teams facing relegation will be struck down with the virus and teams who don't want to be promoted too.

What about the refs? Are they isolating too?

I don't think we will finish this season either, weather and isolations will mean leagues don't get finished... Teams facing relegation will be struck down with the virus and teams who don't want to be promoted too.
Don't know on the officials, just followed the coverage on social media and the official in statement.

One of the teams that plays in the Supply League that I operate on has announced that 2 of their players have tested positive for Covid.

Them and the opposition team are now isolating and have both had to cancel upcoming fixtures and training.

Both currently affected players are apparently displaying mild signs.

It's a sign of how disrupted this season could become if we have fixtures postponed due to positive tests in teams.

I would love to see follow ups on this--one of the key questions remains how likely transmission is if a contagious player plays--if they played a game while believed to contagious and no one on the other team turns up sick, it would be a useful (albeit minor) data point on transmission.

I would love to see follow ups on this--one of the key questions remains how likely transmission is if a contagious player plays--if they played a game while believed to contagious and no one on the other team turns up sick, it would be a useful (albeit minor) data point on transmission.

This is all public domain. Players and volunteers from the affected club have had tests, all of which have come back negative.

16 Players from opposing club have had tests and are awaiting the results.

No idea on the match officials and whether they have had tests or not.

As you say, it's going to be interesting to see how these things play out, whether a player displaying symptoms will in effect shut down 2 clubs for a period of time, or whether it will be seen as being something like an injury and only the sick player has to isolate.

Also will be interesting to see what burden of proof the league or FA place on clubs to demonstrate an actual positive test to avoid clubs simply using it as an excuse when they've got players unavailable for games.

Several local cricket teams close to me have had to cancel fixtures and shut the club for all matches and training and await the test results of everyone who played, officiated and watched. One team played a game on Thursday, and then on Saturday against different opposition. On Sunday he recieved his test results which were positive. So that's 3 teams who can't play and have to self isolate plus umpires. All junior matches cancelled for a week as a minimum too. So when you add up the 3 teams who are missing a weeks worth of matches plus all there junior team games and midweek fixtures, you're probably looking at 12-15 matches cancelled as a minimum.

Expect plenty of disruption this season thats for sure. Everyone will need to be adaptive

I actually think that there will be matches called off due to lack of players from a COVID test.

So, one of these teams has a county cup match in 9 days; that match will have to be cancelled and re-arranged.

The fixtures Sec role is going to be a nightmare this season with late changes.

There is a nightmare scenario in higher levels of the referee being told that they have been in contact on track and trace on a Friday evening/Saturday morning and a replacement is needed.

There is going to be some fun for this season.

I actually think that there will be matches called off due to lack of players from a COVID test.

So, one of these teams has a county cup match in 9 days; that match will have to be cancelled and re-arranged.

The fixtures Sec role is going to be a nightmare this season with late changes.

There is a nightmare scenario in higher levels of the referee being told that they have been in contact on track and trace on a Friday evening/Saturday morning and a replacement is needed.

There is going to be some fun for this season.
It's a good job that West Riding and Sheffield&Hallamshire have decided not to run any County competitions this season and will not sanction any ad-hoc competitions (District Cups). As for referees, there are signs that some have decided that they've quite liked having their Saturdays back and are not coming back to the green bit.

It's a good job that West Riding and Sheffield&Hallamshire have decided not to run any County competitions this season and will not sanction any ad-hoc competitions (District Cups). As for referees, there are signs that some have decided that they've quite liked having their Saturdays back and are not coming back to the green bit.

i'm the opposite, get me back! like yesterday!

many local refs packed it in?

only 1 so far but got 3 over the next 5 days. my wallet also appreciates it too!

Got my first “proper” game tonight. Had 2 others scheduled, the first one got cancelled the night before because the away team (step 6) couldn’t get a team. 🤯 Ended up picking up a very low level one sided grassroots game for a bit of a run out.

Last Saturday I rocked up for my game and the venue had double booked so the game got called off as there was nowhere to play.

Am looking forward to tonight!

Nice!

i'm looking forward to the weekend, two step 6 teams, a nice test for me before the season starts

I've done ten so far and have another seven booked in! Get the mistakes and niggles out the way early, build fitness up. It's been ideal!

I've done ten so far and have another seven booked in! Get the mistakes and niggles out the way early, build fitness up. It's been ideal!

Out of interest have those all been through appointment secretaries or through the clubs asking for a referee themselves. (Not judging either way, just genuinely curious)

Out of interest have those all been through appointment secretaries or through the clubs asking for a referee themselves. (Not judging either way, just genuinely curious)

None through appointers. All have either come from clubs advertising on Twitter/FB, through managers contacting me direct or other refs contacting me. If I'd have accepted every request I think I'd be on close to 50 games this month! One team that have a reserves said they needed a ref for their games so I offered, they gave me all their fixtures! I couldn't do them all, but still.

I've done two friendlies. One straight-forward, the second was carnage. Given the length of absence, I was fairly happy with both outings, so don't feel the need to do more warm-up games for the sake of it. That said, I don't like friendlies, so will always err on the side of swerving them
I'll take on a line or two however, before the season gets going

The reason I don't like 'friendlies' is simply because they're harder to referee. Whilst the nature of the games will vary according to level at which they're played, there's an unwritten, added challenge to them. We've even seen International Friendlies go South, because referees inexplicably set the discipline bar so high, it can't be reached
Some on here will steadfastly guarantee that they don't change their game for Friendlies one iota. I don't really think that's plausible. I feel much more comfortable in formal games under the full mutual understanding of what the rules are

The reason I don't like 'friendlies' is simply because they're harder to referee. Whilst the nature of the games will vary according to level at which they're played, there's an unwritten, added challenge to them. We've even seen International Friendlies go South, because referees inexplicably set the discipline bar so high, it can't be reached
Some on here will steadfastly guarantee that they don't change their game for Friendlies one iota. I don't really think that's plausible. I feel much more comfortable in formal games under the full mutual understanding of what the rules are
Happen to agree and I have swerved friendlies. Until this season. With such a long lay off and potentially a disrupted season wanted to get back into it... And step 6 stuff is generally well mannered.
I set the teams up now. This is preseason rules are the same. Play in a friendly manner I will ref it in a friendly manner.. Play it competitively, I'll ref it that way too. Seems to have developed an understanding..

Back