A&H

Sunderland Cambridge

The Referee Store
As you say, the video is unclear. Is it a red for serious foul play?
If so, again, disclaimer, the footage aint great, then, am perfectly fine with the red
Looks like the defender has flattened the striker.

As you say, the video is unclear. Is it a red for serious foul play?
If so, again, disclaimer, the footage aint great, then, am perfectly fine with the red
Looks like the defender has flattened the striker.
It's assumed it was given for dogso

Looks like his arm's up and has caught the attacker across the back of the head, so no alternative than red for DOGSO IMO.

It's assumed it was given for

This is the point of contact on the foul. Look at the ball !!

obvious? Imo thats sfp, a body slam, wiped out the striker by any means possible.

If we are going down the dogso route, we are in the attempt for the ball catergory, and with it being in the box, a yellow card......

Attachments

• 76342993-DA81-4CA5-B9CD-94FD9706756A.png
    76342993-DA81-4CA5-B9CD-94FD9706756A.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
This is the point of contact on the foul. Look at the ball !!

obvious? Imo thats sfp, a body slam, wiped out the striker by any means possible.

If we are going down the dogso route, we are in the attempt for the ball catergory, and with it being in the box, a yellow card......
As it was a push, the DOGSO route would also be a dismissal.

Reactions: ARF
I don't see DOGSO here - the striker doesn't have control and he looks like he has run past the ball, so he's going to have to turn back away from goal to keep possession

.... but that's with the benefit of looking at it a few times and in slowmo.

In real time and from where the ref was, I can see why DOGSO was given.

From watching on mobile, I think penalty YC or no card are easily justified here. But not RC.

IMHO the defender makes a poor attempt to head the ball going over the attacker, it’s such a poor attempt I think reckless is justifiable.

I think DOGSO is borderline, no control, facing away from goal, more players are coming. I am in the no DOGSO camp because there are doubts about all three considerations. The clincher for me is the direction of play - this isn’t the kind of heading towards goal at speed we associate with DOGSO.

So, either foul pen SPA downgrade no card ; reckless pen YC ; or foul pen DOGSO downgrade yellow.

On balance YC is the smart choice I think.

From watching on mobile, I think penalty YC or no card are easily justified here. But not RC.

IMHO the defender makes a poor attempt to head the ball going over the attacker, it’s such a poor attempt I think reckless is justifiable.

I think DOGSO is borderline, no control, facing away from goal, more players are coming. I am in the no DOGSO camp because there are doubts about all three considerations. The clincher for me is the direction of play - this isn’t the kind of heading towards goal at speed we associate with DOGSO.

So, either foul pen SPA downgrade no card ; reckless pen YC ; or foul pen DOGSO downgrade yellow.

On balance YC is the smart choice I think.
Distance ✅
General direction of play ✅
Likelihood of gaining control of ball ✅
Location and number of defenders ✅
Ball not within playing distance ✅

Seems a very straightforward DOGSO red to me.

Distance ✅
General direction of play ✅
Likelihood of gaining control of ball ✅
Location and number of defenders ✅
Ball not within playing distance ✅

Seems a very straightforward DOGSO red to me.
I thought the same until I watched again.. And actually the player has ran past the flight of the ball and would have ended up with back to goal and not such an obvious chance as I originally thought.

What was the decision here BTW?

He has plenty of time to turn around though, take the fouling defender out of the equation and at the time of the foul the nearest other defenders are 10m away.

1650802975867.png

Back