A&H

Summer Tournaments & the return of the centre circle ref!

Andrew.Rainsbury

Rainbow74
Observer/Tutor
Like the majority here, I've been asked to officiate at a few tournaments this summer. Recently I had the pleasure of attending a couple of tournaments (as a dad) with my son’s teams u8’s & u10’s.

Whilst the tournaments themselves were well organised, I found myself getting more and more uptight by the frustration of seeing ‘the centre circle ref’! The referees had indeed the county badge – so I was confident that they were up to the job. Sadly, to my astonishment 2 referees officiated with dark sunglasses (blues brother style!). It seemed that the mature referees moved more than the younger ones. Unfortunately, despite completing the online respect test, I could not hold it in any longer – “come on ref, keep up with play” I quipped. “I am keeping up with play!” was the response – job done I thought here we go – he will be on his toes now…

Meanwhile a legitimate goal was ruled out as it was seen to go out of play. Y the chap in the centre … it clearly hadn't from my closer view “thought you were keeping up with play" I muttered to myself.

Coaches came up to me as we made our way home (after doing quite well, no thanks to our esteemed colleagues) – and asked me “what do they teach them?” … my response was "the laws, but common sense – seems to be a dying art!"

I will also chuck this one in - a chap in a black shirt - refereed appallingly - so as my sons manager was complaining to an official as to why he didn't have the correct attire to the rest of the referees, he was told "they are all qualified sir"... my sub question to this thread - if your are qualified - why on earth would you not wear your badges? - you earnt them - and in my experience, they stop a hell of a lot of jobsworth spectators. (laws said with confidence, or even BS will suffice!)

So, in closing; I am disappointed with my outburst, but to get RESPECT, we must first earn REFSPECT – when I’m asked to officiate at a tournament – I do just that, keep up with play – no matter the age group – they’ve paid for a referee and that sir… is indeed what they get… at the end of the tournament – the coaches in your group – will at some point feed back to the tournament officials and declare – your tournament a great success, with a high standard of refereeing. The clubs have paid their money, you have more spectators than you’ve ever seen… give them the professional the tournament deserves.

PS... Jade shirt was lovely on a sunny day... no more roasting in black! ;-)

Last edited:
The Referee Store
To be fair to this chap... his refereeing was spot on, unfortunately the youngsters followed his lead on the glasses.
Thoughts

a ref not leaving the centre circle in the words of Victor Meldrew " I don't believe it!" I wear glasses to ref as I cant wear contacts I would never wear my prescription sunglasses because it would give the wrong impression . As for the kit maybe he has only one badged kit and it was damaged or lost or put somewhere safe like my spare watch!

I am personally not a fan of jeering referees from the sidelines. You must know how it feels when the spectators are questioning your ability from the sidelines... You've done the same to this guy.

My advice is instead of shouting from the sidelines at the guy, have a quiet word with him after the game (if it is that important to you).

I am personally not a fan of jeering referees from the sidelines. You must know how it feels when the spectators are questioning your ability from the sidelines... You've done the same to this guy.

My advice is instead of shouting from the sidelines at the guy, have a quiet word with him after the game (if it is that important to you).
I agree and I'm not proud... but centre circle refs - respect is hard enough... don't let the game be about the ref... ever!!

I agree with you; nothing frustrates me more than a centre circle referee, even when I'm playing I find it frustrating... But as a referee, I wouldn't give a fellow colleague stick on the field or the sideline. A quick chat during the half-time break or after the game will help you come across alot better.

It's hard enough as it is at times with players and spectators giving us stick, we don't need our colleagues doing it also :)

I agree with you; nothing frustrates me more than a centre circle referee, even when I'm playing I find it frustrating... But as a referee, I wouldn't give a fellow colleague stick on the field or the sideline. A quick chat during the half-time break or after the game will help you come across alot better.

It's hard enough as it is at times with players and spectators giving us stick, we don't need our colleagues doing it also :)
Yes, true... ''twas a moment of regret" but in defence... be active and all is calm! Lol

Reactions: DB
At least a centre circle ref is always a maximum of around 45 yards from any incident.(Fifa recommend 19 yards) ... beats the old plodder who's stuck in the opposite box with a quick break away!! Just Saying!!! :(

Like the majority here, I've been asked to officiate at a few tournaments this summer. Recently I had the pleasure of attending a couple of tournaments (as a dad) with my son’s teams u8’s & u10’s.

Whilst the tournaments themselves were well organised, I found myself getting more and more uptight by the frustration of seeing ‘the centre circle ref’! The referees had indeed the county badge – so I was confident that they were up to the job. Sadly, to my astonishment 2 referees officiated with dark sunglasses (blues brother style!). It seemed that the mature referees moved more than the younger ones. Unfortunately, despite completing the online respect test, I could not hold it in any longer – “come on ref, keep up with play” I quipped. “I am keeping up with play!” was the response – job done I thought here we go – he will be on his toes now…

Meanwhile a legitimate goal was ruled out as it had gone out of play… yet the coach and well-placed spectators begged to differ. – so, I piped up again “thought you were keeping up with play – how can you see from the centre circle!”

Coaches came up to me as we made our way home (after doing quite well, no thanks to our esteemed colleagues) – and asked me “what do they teach me?” … my response was the laws, but common sense – seems to be a dying art!

I will also chuck this one in - a chap in a black shirt - refereed appallingly - so as my sons manager was complaining to an official as to why he didn't have the correct attire to the rest of the referees, he was told "they are all qualified sir"... my sub question to you - if your are qualified - why on earth would you not wear your badges? - you earnt them - and in my experience, they stop a hell of a lot of jobsworth spectators. (laws said with confidence, or even BS will suffice!)

So, in closing; I am disappointed with my outburst, but to get RESPECT, we must first earn REFSPECT – when I’m asked to officiate at a tournament – I do just that, keep up with play – no matter the age group – they’ve paid for a referee and that sir… is indeed what they get… at the end of the tournament – the coaches in your group – will at some point feed back to the tournament officials and declare – your tournament a great success, with a high standard of refereeing. The clubs have paid their money, you have more spectators than you’ve ever seen… give them the professional the tournament deserves.

PS... Jade shirt was lovely on a sunny day... no more roasting in black! ;-)

But I never went away!

Meanwhile a legitimate goal was ruled out as it had gone out of play… yet the coach and well-placed spectators begged to differ. – so, I piped up again “thought you were keeping up with play – how can you see from the centre circle!”

Struggling a bit with this one. Even at a tournament the coach would be on one side near half way line and spectators would be spread out on the opposite side. How can they both have a better view of an in/out wherever it was? This is assuming they know the law in the first place

At least a centre circle ref is always a maximum of around 45 yards from any incident.(Fifa recommend 19 yards) ... beats the old plodder who's stuck in the opposite box with a quick break away!! Just Saying!!! :(

In this case, if it was u10, max pitch length is usually 60 yards. For the other son (u8) it's usually 40 yards

Meanwhile a legitimate goal was ruled out as it had gone out of play… yet the coach and well-placed spectators begged to differ.
So was it a legitimate goal or was the ball out of play? Can't be both! Presume the match was taken charge by a sole referee without assitants as most mini-soccer/tournament matches usually are. Even if parents/coaches did have a better view, doesn't automatically make them right! As far as the laws are concerned, match decisions are made by the referee, not Joe Bloggs in a flat cap on the sidelines.

When I was regularly ref'n mini-soccer matches, I would normally stand beyond the far post on the goal line for corners, so I had a view of every player in my field of vision and be in the best position to judge goal line incidents. Despite my positioning, didn't stop idiots on the half way line protesting balls had crossed the goal line when they clearly hadn't!

Overall, can't believe what I have read in this thread. What hope is their for the respect campaign when one of our own admits to being part of the problem? :mad:

Towards the end of last season, I witnessed the worst refereeing performance by a registered ref I have ever seen. The guy was clearly out of his depth and lost the plot completely. Would have been quite easily for me to join in the hecking and jeering, instead I bit my tounge and actually felt sorry for the guy. End of the match, I walked over, shaked his hand, said thanks ref and walked away. What I said privately is a different story, but despite his highly questionable decision making and impartiality, I didn't publically throw him to the lions!!!

My brother in Law is coming from the USA in September, he has a bucket list, see Man Utd live in the Prem, see the Blades Live and see me referee a game.... first two i'm arranging.... third one I have a problem!!!!

Absolutely, and I freely admit I was wrong... and quite rightly have been berated in this thread... I know what I did was wrong and hereby promise to change my ways...
But when I see young referees be lazy, taking the quick buck.
A lazy 's' would have been fine, but lazy younger referees - I question - where has this come from and how can it be eradicated...

Playing devils advocate - I don't accept half hearted performances at work... why should teams accept them when they pay to enter a competition?

Struggling a bit with this one. Even at a tournament the coach would be on one side near half way line and spectators would be spread out on the opposite side. How can they both have a better view of an in/out wherever it was? This is assuming they know the law in the first place
From the centre circle ref couldn't see through the crowd of players, let alone the line...

Remember in preseason tournaments the referees are often getting paid no more than a pittance, and they may be ref'ing for 8 hours with very few breaks.

Guys, thanks for all the comments - glad that it's a cause for comment. But what seems to be coming through is that centre circle reffing is acceptable? To distance myself... I will also add to this - 14.31miles covered at a recent day tournament. Starting at 8 and finishing at 5... Being a ref is a great way to improve your fitness, but perhaps these young pups don't need the exercise - lol
No complaints, and didn't give anyone a reason to... I'll just leave that last sentence to sink in.

Back