A&H

Sports glasses petition

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Came across this petition which I thought we could sign. The description gives an example of what happened to a young player who was allowed to play with normal glasses and I think it’s a petition we can all get behind to allow sports glasses to be free for those who need them

http://chng.it/LHNJB7Lp

The Referee Store
While I support the idea, who is going to pay for all these sports glasses?

Local services and the NHS etc are already pushed when it comes to funds, and letting little Johnny play football will come pretty low down on the list.

While I support the idea, who is going to pay for all these sports glasses?

Local services and the NHS etc are already pushed when it comes to funds, and letting little Johnny play football will come pretty low down on the list.
It's a good point but I don't think it's exactly a very common issue. I've only seen a few players with glasses this year and they had the appropriate glasses. Unless it's just coincidence, I don't think there will be a LOT of people after them so shouldn't be too expensive for the NHS but I'm not too informed so you're probably right

Came across this petition which I thought we could sign. The description gives an example of what happened to a young player who was allowed to play with normal glasses and I think it’s a petition we can all get behind to allow sports glasses to be free for those who need them

http://chng.it/LHNJB7Lp
The point here is really that he should not have been playing without plastic lens........

Had a huge fall out years and years ago with referee manager
His instruction was that kids are to play with glasses
Me, and some others said no. It got messy.

Without sound a tad bit mean, if I can't get my prescription glasses on the NHS, I don't really want the funding of an already stretched service to go towards a child which needs plastic ones for football

Without sound a tad bit mean, if I can't get my prescription glasses on the NHS, I don't really want the funding of an already stretched service to go towards a child which needs plastic ones for football

This ^ ^ ^

All day long. :cool:

It's a good point but I don't think it's exactly a very common issue. I've only seen a few players with glasses this year and they had the appropriate glasses. Unless it's just coincidence, I don't think there will be a LOT of people after them so shouldn't be too expensive for the NHS but I'm not too informed so you're probably right

The petition doesn't specify football, just that children should have access to sports glasses/goggles through an NHS prescription. And if they do it for football then they'll have to do it for every other sport, net ball, basket ball, rugby, hockey, various track and field events etc etc.

In an ideal world we'd be able to make sure that the state can afford to supply children with the equipment they need to take part in sports safely, unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world

As has already been pointed out above, time would probably be better spent looking into why the child was allowed to play wearing these glasses. It hasn't come up often in my games, I only do adult football so I guess the majority of players wear contacts.

Other than taking someones word for it how are we, as referees, supposed to know when someones glasses are safe for football. Glasses can look sporty enough without having plastic lenses.

Back