A&H

Some Clarification

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
Just going through areferee.com, I know some of the questions/answers are wrong but this one is confusing

A substituted player just got a water bottle from the assistant coach. An opponent walks on the field of play before the bench. The substituted player throws the water bottle at him. The ball is in play. How will play be restarted?

I chose Direct Free Kick but it says its wrong so I checked with the good book!

According to the LOTG

If a substitute, substituted or sent-off player, player temporarily off the field of play or team official throws or kicks an object onto the field of play and it interferes with play, an opponent or match official, play is restarted with a direct free kick (or penalty kick) where the object interfered with play or struck or would have struck the opponent, match official or the ball.

So I re-read the LOTG as I was sure the book is right but then found this

If an offence is committed outside the field of play by a player against a player, substitute, substituted player or team official of their own team, play is restarted with an indirect free kick on the boundary line closest to where the offence occurred.

Just want to make sure my thinking is right but happy to be corrected

The Referee Store
Your interpretation sounds right to me also. The subbed player has thrown an object onto the field of play and it has"interfered with" an opponent (by striking them). Direct Free Kick for me.

Incidentally, I stopped looking at areferee.com a long time ago - they get too many answers wrong and some of the questions are so poorly worded you can't really answer them anyway.

I am sure you are right - DFK (or penalty). The offence is not where the object was thrown from but where it struck (or would have struck) the player...which is on the field of play. The other example you quote, for the IFK, is if an offence occurs off the field between a player and another player/sub/coach OF THE SAME TEAM...which does not apply here as the OP says "an opponent". And areferee.com are really falling behind in updating questions to fit Law changes. 3 real bad errors in a row when I did a quiz a few days ago.

Back