A&H

Sock Tape Circumvention (Nike Bands)

alternation

Level 7 Referee
Interesting interaction with my brother yesterday. He is player for an intermediate club and he was pictured in the local paper putting a tackle on an opponent. I noticed a black section on his orange socks (which were part of an all orange kit).

I gave him a bit of stick about using the wrong colour sock tape and being pictured in the paper to which he replied, 'its not sock tape, they're Nike bands.'

I've never heard of this and it made me wonder how I would approach it if I had to make a decision on match day. Is this a spurious attempt to circumvent the sock tape law? Anyone else experienced this?

Michael

The Referee Store
The law came out last season (as we all know)

One of my 1st games the team had light blue socks with a burgundy strip on it. I was asked if they out red tape round the strip would that be ok. I said yeah that's fine. I didn't have a problem with it and its not breaking the LoTG as its the sane colour

How does the law fit with ankle guards outside of sock? They tend not to be the main colour of the sock.

They are kind of protective equipment?

Can't see in the laws that they are not allowed.

That is what I have been insisting on, but I don't think it's supported by law

I would treat them as shin guards and should be covered by the sock.

As far as Nike bands and those silly little ankle socks they like to wear - all have to be same colour as sock, or hidden.

I've just had a quick check there in the LOTG. On page 21 under Basic Equipment it states, 'stockings - if tape or similar material is applied externally it must be the same colour as that part of the stocking it is applied to.'

I suppose it comes down to the judgement of 'similar material.' I would agree with the rest of you in that this encompasses anything applied to the outside of the sock but I can see where players and clubs may try to nail a ref on the 'similar material' wording, believing it to mean 'anything that is like tape (in consistency, texture, use etc)'.

I know what I'll be doing if I ever come across it! Cheers for the replies people!

Back