A&H

Small step up

zizou

I'm now five games in to this refereeing malarkey. Thoroughly enjoying it. However I've mainly had U14s games and its all been pretty nice and friendly.

Tonight I've been given the chance to referee a friendly between Queen of the South U16s v Workington Reds. I'm expecting this to be a whole new ball game, especially with the coaches and parents. Slightly apprehensive about the game but I will probably learn more tonight then I have in my last 5 games. Looking forward to it.

The Referee Store
Not much of a difference mate not in age groups anyway 14s to 16s I wouldn't panic about anything or do anything different than what you normally do.

Slightly faster and possible a bit more intense and possibly a bit more talkative. But you are still applying the same laws of the game. So physically it may be a bit harder but mentally it's all the same.

Its more the parents I'm apprehensive about. They all think the little joey is going to be the next Messi and God forbid a referee has a stern word with them :)

I may find the game itself is actually a little easier, at 14s the balls is forever going out for a throw in, careless tackles every five mins. These queens boys move the ball about brilliantly.

Try to tune out the parents unless someone is truly abusive. As you develop as a referee, there will be lots of strategies, tactics, tips and tricks to learn - for this match, with your indication that at least one of the teams move the ball well, here are two suggestions to focus on:
(1) your positioning - if the ball is moving more quickly (assuming up and down as well as side to side), pay attention to how you position yourself on a diagonal or an S, try to anticipate the next pass or passes, so you are in position to see play and keep up with play.
(2) Late tackles - if the ball is being moved quickly, be aware of late tackles after the ball is gone. If you're in a good position, you can keep just a quick look at the player who just passed the ball to see if a defender is coming in late.

Have fun!

Try to tune out the parents unless someone is truly abusive. As you develop as a referee, there will be lots of strategies, tactics, tips and tricks to learn - for this match, with your indication that at least one of the teams move the ball well, here are two suggestions to focus on:
(1) your positioning - if the ball is moving more quickly (assuming up and down as well as side to side), pay attention to how you position yourself on a diagonal or an S, try to anticipate the next pass or passes, so you are in position to see play and keep up with play.
(2) Late tackles - if the ball is being moved quickly, be aware of late tackles after the ball is gone. If you're in a good position, you can keep just a quick look at the player who just passed the ball to see if a defender is coming in late.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice. Appreciated.

Enjoyable game last night.

Got a throw in decision wrong I think, managed to sell it pretty well though and they accepted it. Coaches on the touchlines and parents were absolutely fine. Can't remember one shout aimed at myself and there was a good 50-75 watching.

One player for Workington Reds never stopped questioning every decision but it eventually turned into a running joke between us. Quite enjoyed that.

0-0 at half time and then queens brought on their "big guns" and it ended up 7-0 and they were completely dominant with possession. I actually preferred the first half. The second got a bit boring from a refereeing perspective.

I guess it will be the game I completely unexpect any issues when I will end up getting my first real test.

I guess it will be the game I completely unexpect any issues when I will end up getting my first real test.
Exactly this. I have lost count of the number of times that in a nothing game, cruising along and then Bang someone does something stupid and carnage breaks loose.

It very rarely happens in "academy" youth games though, the players are trained to behave better and poor on field discipline will prevent them from progressing.

You are allowed to change your mind you know. Honest Players often appreciate your hand up admitting you’ve messed up. Don’t do it too often though or they’ll play on it...

Reactions: JH
J
Enjoyable game last night.

Got a throw in decision wrong I think, managed to sell it pretty well though and they accepted it. Coaches on the touchlines and parents were absolutely fine. Can't remember one shout aimed at myself and there was a good 50-75 watching.

One player for Workington Reds never stopped questioning every decision but it eventually turned into a running joke between us. Quite enjoyed that.

0-0 at half time and then queens brought on their "big guns" and it ended up 7-0 and they were completely dominant with possession. I actually preferred the first half. The second got a bit boring from a refereeing perspective.

Jeez, wish i could only make one minor rick per game ☺

I never said I only made one. If I did please feel free to point it out.

There will no doubt have been other similar ones, especially with getting the correct decision on throw ins when there's two players or more challenging for the ball on the touchline. I had no AR's. I also had very little in the way of complaints so either they were just being respectful or they didn't particularly know who touched the ball last either.

It was also a game with very few fouls.

If thats your first venture from random kids to professional club kids, then certainly you will have enjoyed the difference. You get to relax a bit, enjoy the game more, and can genuinely feel part of the game, instead of just being a killjoy like most weekends.
Academy football rarely poses many match control issues so you can focus on positioning, test your fitness, and give the kids every chance to play
Coaches should not pose too much problems, at that level they understand their behaviour rubs off on the kids, and parents will be under unofficial instruction not to get overly involved. In a way, you could class it as a false environment, that said, the lotg remain the same and its excelllent practise.

Afterall as you progress, so too will some of the kids, building relationships and all that..

It very rarely happens in "academy" youth games though, the players are trained to behave better and poor on field discipline will prevent them from progressing.
And parent know if they misbehave their kid gets kicked out .

Back