A&H

Sinbin then red.

KHxN

Level 8 Referee
Right, I had a U12 match this Saturday, 1st and second in the league,
The home team won all games so far this season, away not exactly sure,
so the first half was good, with it being 1-0 to the away team,
the second half is 4 minutes in and a player of the away team was warned for language, numerous players both teams said he called someone a D**K, but I didn't hear him, so I just warned him. about 4 minutes later, I go to warn him about his physical contact with other players during challenges, he proceeds to tell me to shut up, and that he wasn't doing anything wrong, I give him a YC for Sinbin, he goes off, play restarts and we get 40 seconds through and its a throw-in, and I see the player I just sin-binned on the ball, I gave the Player a YC for USB, then a Red for 2 YCs, he then goes off, and the away team coaches and manager walks onto the pitch, the get to the centre circle, I go over and give them both yellows for entering the field of play without permission, and then they walk off, the match continues and ends 2-1 to the away team,
after the match 3 people from the away team come over to speak to me, and I'm still a young referee and I'm still quite short, they were visibly aggravated, the asst. coach said "Its our fault the player went back on, we told him to go back on, we never knew about the sin bin rule," I did the arm signal and said to the player when i sin-binned him " Goodbye, you're sin-binned 8 minutes." I ask the coaches their names for my report as I gave them both yellows, when the Head coach said "My names Firstname Lastname, Now F**k Off!" I then showed him a Red for Offinabus, the away team repeatedly telling the home team aswell as me to leave and just go away, even though it is the home teams pitch

The Referee Store
Right, I had a U12 match this Saturday, 1st and second in the league,
The home team won all games so far this season, away not exactly sure,
so the first half was good, with it being 1-0 to the away team,
the second half is 4 minutes in and a player of the away team was warned for language, numerous players both teams said he called someone a D**K, but I didn't hear him, so I just warned him. about 4 minutes later, I go to warn him about his physical contact with other players during challenges, he proceeds to tell me to shut up, and that he wasn't doing anything wrong, I give him a YC for Sinbin, he goes off, play restarts and we get 40 seconds through and its a throw-in, and I see the player I just sin-binned on the ball, I gave the Player a YC for USB, then a Red for 2 YCs, he then goes off, and the away team coaches and manager walks onto the pitch, the get to the centre circle, I go over and give them both yellows for entering the field of play without permission, and then they walk off, the match continues and ends 2-1 to the away team,
after the match 3 people from the away team come over to speak to me, and I'm still a young referee and I'm still quite short, they were visibly aggravated, the asst. coach said "Its our fault the player went back on, we told him to go back on, we never knew about the sin bin rule," I did the arm signal and said to the player when i sin-binned him " Goodbye, you're sin-binned 8 minutes." I ask the coaches their names for my report as I gave them both yellows, when the Head coach said "My names Firstname Lastname, Now F**k Off!" I then showed him a Red for Offinabus, the away team repeatedly telling the home team aswell as me to leave and just go away, even though it is the home teams pitch
The behaviour in some youth games never ceases to amaze me
The advice on here will always be fairly consistent
Speak to your RDO before submitting the report. The League & County Safeguarding Officers will also need informing, as per the direction of your RDO.

No matter how you refereed the game, this nonsense is simply unacceptable and no reflection on you

Last edited:
Yeah, I did that, However our RDO is out of contact so I got through to no one

The behaviour in some youth games never ceases to amaze me
The advice on here will always be fairly consistent
Speak to your RDO before submitting the report. The League & County Safeguarding Officers will also need informing, as per the direction of your RDO.

No matter how you refereed the game, this nonsense is simply unacceptable and no reflection on you

the away team coaches who attended the match are also league officals, they are secutary and vice chair, so the leagues probs wont do anything

the away team coaches who attended the match are also league officals, they are secutary and vice chair, so the leagues probs wont do anything

That would be something to raise with the RDO and the Referee's society. That would be a clear conflict of interest, and would need remedying.

You should not have shown a red card for a sin bin caution plus another caution. You should have been given a card to keep in your matchday scorecard wallet as to process for yellow cards involving sin bins.

Reactions: JH
Robert - the laws state that a player who commits a cautionable or dismissal offence whilst in the sin bin can take no further part in the game.
Why doesn't it say "is sent off" like it does everywhere else in the game? Its much simpler wording too isn't it? Could it be that they don't want the player to be shown a red card and suspend ?

Why doesn't it say "is sent off" like it does everywhere else in the game? Its much simpler wording too isn't it? Could it be that they don't want the player to be shown a red card and suspend ?
Because sent off implies red card. It is not a red card offence to be cautioned whilst in the sin bin, but in effect it is the same.

Just food for thought: a coach or member if technical staff entering the field of play to confront a referee before, during, or after the match is a red card offense. This is what you should report the sending off as when you report sending the coach off, as opposed to OFFINABUS which is an offense committed by a player, substitute, or substituted player. It also means that you were within your rights to send off the coaches before the foul language was used.

My advice for post-game is to tell the coaches that you are happy to explain your decision once you have finished the rest of your work. You have a game sheet to compile, a report to prepare, you have to do a post-match cool down, if you were assessed then you have a debrief, you need to shower and change and then you will happily speak to the coaches for a few minutes to explain (not discuss!) your decision to caution and send off the player.

My advice for post-game is to tell the coaches that you are happy to explain your decision once you have finished the rest of your work. You have a game sheet to compile, a report to prepare, you have to do a post-match cool down, if you were assessed then you have a debrief, you need to shower and change and then you will happily speak to the coaches for a few minutes to explain (not discuss!) your decision to caution and send off the player.

Yes, that is a very useful approach as by that time they should have calmed down, and in many cases completely forgotten about wanting to talk to you.

Yes, that is a very useful approach as by that time they should have calmed down, and in many cases completely forgotten about wanting to talk to you.

In my experience, they don't wait around for 30-40 minutes to even have the chat.

Back