A&H

Sin Bins / Delay of game

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
It is likely that Sin Bins with be brought in for the 19/20 seasons at levels before Step 7 for dissent, from what has been said by various CFA people recently.

If this every for into the Professional game:

1. Do you think that it would be an aid to match control?

2. Would extending it for caution re delay of game?

On the second point, wouldn't the World Cup be better if they dish out YC for timewasting? It would certainly stop some unnecessary tactics at the end of games?

The Referee Store
I don't like it
I have very little optimism that FIFA and their 50% representation of IFAB (on a string), will ever do anything for the good of the game without intelligently considering the consequences

At the pro level I'd love a sin bin for SPA (or a reckless tackle) where there was no attempt to play the ball. Of course I know it would be tough to apply and it would probably lead to refs showing even fewer SPA cards when they should be showing more.

Really.......:angel:

The trial of Temporary Dismissals (Sin-Bins) is set to continue this season with 30 extra leagues added to the trial.
The results of last season trial look extremely promising:
- 25/31 leagues showed an overall reduction in dissent
- 38% reduction in dissent across all leagues
- 72% of players wanted to continue with the scheme
- 77% of managers and/or coaches wanted to continue with the scheme
- 84 % of referees wanted to continue with the scheme.
Have you been involved - what did you think?
If you haven't would you like you league to implement sin-bins?

It would be unnatural for me to believe such stats, but i'm not keen on the sin bin ticket (albeit lacking any exposure to it)
Potential dissent is met with a warning, dissent is met with a caution and a dismissal follows for any repeat. I don't see why this basic process needs dressing up as something else

It would be unnatural for me to believe such stats, but i'm not keen on the sin bin ticket (albeit lacking any exposure to it)
Potential dissent is met with a warning, dissent is met with a caution and a dismissal follows for any repeat. I don't see why this basic process needs dressing up as something else
If referees didn't let so much abuse go then there would be no need for any changes. Was on the line in a game last season and ref was getting called everything under the sun, screamed at, chased during play. Did absolutely nothing. They'll just do it again.

The problem with the professional game is that they so rarely caution for dissent. The world cup was very odd in this respect. I don't think sin bins will work if top level refs are in any case being told not to issue so many cautions, which seems to be the case.

I've had a slight change of heart regarding temporary dismissals. I now feel that all junior/youth leagues, cups and competitions should use temporary dismissals. Let's see in 10 years time how better behaved the players have become.
If they want to be a player, they won't be a gobshite, if they want to be a gobshite, they won't be playing much football.
Hopefully, we'll nurture a different attitude through development.

I'm with Yampy.

I had (and not having implemented it in my leagues yet) and still have some reservations as to how easy it is to implement and manage as part of being a "lone" referee on a game.

However for me the debate is not about whether a referee has the mettle to show a card or not, it's about the impact on the player and the team.

In a non sin bin scenario, the only thing a yellow card does is costs the player money. They stay on the pitch and can influence the game. It only becomes an issue if they have committed or go on to commit another cautionable offence. The amount of players who the captain or team mates then say "keep your mouth shut now" is really the only impact.

In the sin bin scenario, I would argue that the punishment is MORE severe for the offence. They have to sit out for 10 minutes so don't get to participate and the team is then punished also by being a man down. I can see how that punishment would create a level of peer pressure to stamp it out due to the player "letting their mates down"

It only takes a game where a player being off the park for 10 minutes changes the game, especially in a tight contest, it could completely change the momentum for players to realise that they need to keep their mouth shut.

I'm not sure if any of our leagues will implement it, but I'm up for giving it a go!

I can see how that punishment would create a level of peer pressure to stamp it out due to the player "letting their mates down"

This effect has been reported by referees that took part in the trial last year.

I've always worried that the "38% reduction in dissent" quoted by Sheffields Finest above may actually be down to referees being less willing to show dissent cards, rather than players less willing to dissent, but I suppose referee satisfaction with the scheme may suggest otherwise?

The problem i have with the stats, is that I don't trust the governing bodies to tell us when one of their ideas is not working out. I therefore don't trust them when they say something is going well

Reactions: one
I've always worried that the "38% reduction in dissent" quoted by Sheffields Finest above may actually be down to referees being less willing to show dissent cards, rather than players less willing to dissent, but I suppose referee satisfaction with the scheme may suggest otherwise?
Not my figure @GraemeS.... The FA bods dreamed it up in the pub i think!!

If you have not used the sin bin then you cannot say whether you like it's use or not. Sure you can have an opinion in general, but until you have tried it, and see the dramatic effects it has on players, and coaches, then have a real opinion.

As I have said previously it has greatly reduced dissent here, and now, if it looks like a player is about to dissent, captains and coaches immediately intervene to calm the player so they are not a player short!

It is very easy to administer, you just note the time next to the player's number on match card, and 10 minutes later wave the player back on. If there has been a stoppage then you will obviously need to add on that time. But you will always know when the 10 minutes are nearly up as the player (and his coach) will be on halfway impatient to get back on.

Very rarely do you get more than one sin bin in a match, as the first one sends out a strong message!

We had a honeymoon period of around the first 8 rounds in the season (we are in round 17 next Saturday). The care and scare level has dropped a fair bit since then but I still think we are better with it than without it. It would work a lot better if it wasn't for some referees who shy away from sin binning players to avoid impacting the game and some teams take advantage of it. Same referees would have yellow carded the same dissent if there was no sin bin.

I have had about 10 sin bins is 37 games. My worse one was three or four wees ago. First sin bin came around 60min after a few earlier quiet warnings on the run and a public warning to the captain for the whole team. Two minutes after the first sin bin a player trips himself over the opponent after a fair tackle, he runs at me yelling "what the fcuk was that". I stop play and bin him for 10 minute. As he is walking, a team mate nearby yells out "this is fcuking bullsh!t" and he is walking with his team mate before I can show him the card (knowing whats coming). That's three in the bin. No more trouble for the remaining half hour though.

Back