A&H

Sin Bins at Supply League Level

CCOfficial

Level 6 Referee
I am the Referees' Secretary for a Supply League and am currently working on putting together an online workshop/session (or two) on Sin Bins.

Have sought feedback from referees, assistants, observers and clubs. I have also started to analyse the data we hold on cards by category, club and referee. As part of the Respect work we do we can also see which players have been sin binned. Really interesting things starting to come out of this and sin bins are also a reflection of wider issues in game management - dealing with players and benches, selling decisions, relationship between clubs and refs, communication etc.

If anyone has any comments or ideas then please post them here.

Once the session is ready then happy to share more widely because this is a new and evolving topic.

The Referee Store
The general debate is whether Sin Bins reduce overall dissent in the game
On one hand, the FA claim that C2 Sin Bin count is substantially lower than regular C2's
Arguably, C2 Sin Bin (without a fine) is a stronger punishment than a fine. It's possible/probable, that referees are not using the new sanction as readily even though the amount of dissent has not markedly changed
The above is a synopsis of what we've debated on the forum
My three year stats (adult OA County Leagues, below Level 7) look like this
17/18 games 17 C2's 7
18/19 games 18 C2's 6
19/20 games 33 C2's 1 C2 Sin Bins 12
The one C2 last season was for dissent after FT. So my dissent count remains relatively unchanged
I've not encountered much dissent in youth football (U16, U17, U18) despite a high game count

Last edited:
The general debate is whether Sin Bins reduce overall dissent in the game
On one hand, the FA claim that C2 Sin Bin count is substantially lower than regular C2's
Arguably, C2 Sin Bin (without a fine) is a stronger punishment than a fine. It's possible/probable, that referees are not using the new sanction as readily even though the amount of dissent has not markedly changed
The above is a synopsis of what we've debated on the forum
My three year stats (adult OA County Leagues, below Level 7) look like this
17/18 games 17 C2's 7
18/19 games 18 C2's 6
19/20 games 33 C2's 1 C2 Sin Bins 12
The one C2 last season was for dissent after FT. So my dissent count remains relatively unchanged
I've not encountered much dissent in youth football (U16, U17, U18) despite a high game count

Good to see a low dissent count in youth football. The only youth football i do is on an u18 league in which I do about 6 games a month. Very low dissent count and a low number of cards or issues in the league in my experience.

An issue I have found from others' games is the potential for a sin bin to escalate.
I know of three incidents where the binned players responded badly and wound up with red cards being used.

So whilst I am broadly in favour of sin bins (I've given 3-4 and after the games half of those guys have given apologies) it would probably be worth a discussion on how to control the situation

An issue I have found from others' games is the potential for a sin bin to escalate.
I know of three incidents where the binned players responded badly and wound up with red cards being used.

So whilst I am broadly in favour of sin bins (I've given 3-4 and after the games half of those guys have given apologies) it would probably be worth a discussion on how to control the situation

My last middle before everything was called off involved a player who was lucky not to be sent to the bin, and got a warning instead, but with that warning he told me to 'f off', so found himself sitting out the last half hour of the game, not that it really affected the result as the team were 5-0 down at the time.

Got an apology after the game and told me he'd lost his head, captain was more than accepting of the situation so happy all round at the end.

Some players just astonish me.

I retired just before sin bins came in, I'm torn with if I think they are a good thing or not. can't get my head around why CFAs would lose out on all that free cash, their income must have plummeted! I'm also 100% sure that refs are using them in more situations than just dissent to not book deserving players!!! Not seen a game live using them so can't comment on a live experience but they are here for good so good luck with them to you all!!

I retired just before sin bins came in, I'm torn with if I think they are a good thing or not. can't get my head around why CFAs would lose out on all that free cash, their income must have plummeted! I'm also 100% sure that refs are using them in more situations than just dissent to not book deserving players!!! Not seen a game live using them so can't comment on a live experience but they are here for good so good luck with them to you all!!

I quite enjoy using them if needed, i tell captains at the start of games that I'm not afraid to use them, whether they take it on board that I've said it, i don't know.

I haven't used that many since the first few games that they came in, so i either think they're working, or captains ARE listening to me. Either way, it's not a bad thing.

Can't get my head around why CFAs would lose out on all that free cash, their income must have plummeted!
Reasonable point; the FA are supporting CFAs financially with whatever their drop in income from those cards would have been. Ultimately the overarching aim is to improve behaviour, retain more referees and have a better experience for all. There is a continual loss of referees due to crap behaviour (9k refs a year drop out - 1/3rd of the referee population) so this lost money is willingly given up for the cause...

Time will tell

Back