A&H

Sin Bin WebEx

GraemeS

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
So, in preparation for my first experience with sin bins, I watched a recording of an online presentation given by an FA instructor. And following this presentation, I sent the following questions to my RDO (yes, I am "that guy"). I'd be interested to know what people here think about these questions and how the answers compare to whatever he comes back with?

(questions modified slightly to make sense to those that haven't watched the presentation)

The presenter said a few times that a player committing an offence while in the sin bin does not get to return. That makes sense to me if the offence is a second dissent caution, but at a later point he talks about an example where the second offence is re-entering the field without permission - and states that their game would be over. That seems inconsistent with the table [of repeat offences] which clearly states a dissent caution followed by a non-dissent caution should result in a sin bin, a caution recorded and no sending off. Logically to me and as per the table, the player should be able to return at the end of their sin bin but with the threat of already being on a standard caution as well as the dissent caution over their head?

Perhaps linked to this, I also don't understand the distinction he makes around the same time between a player being "sent off" and "not being sent off but their game is over and they cannot be substituted"? Surely the two things are functionally the same? Why is this distinction important, and how is it recommended I signal the two different results with cards and/or gestures?

If a player is sent to the sin bin and commits a second act of dissent while going to the sin bin (ie sarcastic clapping while walking off) or while already in the sin bin (ie vocal dissent to a later decision), I understand that I can show another yellow at that point to them and they cannot return. But is the team permitted to replace them with a sub 10 minutes from the first yellow card shown, 10 minutes from the second yellow or do I add the two punishments together and count 20 minutes total from the first yellow?

I also cannot get my head around the reasoning behind the 5th and last rows of that table (dissent, non-dissent, dissent) resulting in their right to be replaced with a substitute after 10 mins being removed. If the reason they have been removed from the game is down to 2x dissent, why is the punishment different from the normal 2x dissent yellow punishment? I appreciate that you have every right to just say "follow the table", but as a general rule I like to explain my decisions where practical to do so, and to explain this decision and to help it stick in my head, I need to understand the reasoning behind it?

Am I correct in saying that a dismissal for 2 dissent yellows should not be signalled with a red card? And if that is correct, what's the recommended process to make it clear that the player is not permitted to return?

Apologies for how many questions I've come up with (and for how picky some of them are!), any help you can offer would be appreciated.

The Referee Store
Back