A&H

Simulation

How to restart play

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
Just a quick query - is simulation to be restarted by a direct or indirect free kick? From what I've seen in PL/FL it's been direct but from my knowledge of the laws that can't be right.

The Referee Store
I wondered the same thing. But, today, I saw Michael Oliver give a FK against Essien for simulation, and at the FK put his hand up to signal it was indirect, which is why I have said IDFK.

My understanding is that there is no penal offence of simulation so therefore, you do not stop the game. The offence of simulation is cautionable and if you choose to stop the game to issue the card the correct restart would be IDFK. I cannot think of any scenario where you might play advantage and caution at the next stoppage, but I presume that it is possible. (Looks to the sky and prepares to be shot down in flames.)

It's an IDFK as it's a technical offense not a penal offense

Yep definitely and IDFK. Mick the game can be should be stopped if there is no possible advantage for the other team because as Aled says it is a technical offence.

Yep definitely and IDFK. Mick the game can be should be stopped if there is no possible advantage for the other team because as Aled says it is a technical offence.
My point was that you don't stop the game because of the offence, you stop the game to issue the caution. Unless there is an advantage, in which case you would wait for the next stoppage.

Yeah I see but if you are stopping the game to give the IDFK then you would caution anyway because it is under UB

No. I'm stopping the game to caution. The restart following me stopping the game to caution is the IDFK. The game hasn't been stopped because of the offence, but because the offence warrants a caution. I know it still amounts to a yellow and IDFK but the actual reason for stopping the game is for the caution to be issued. I hope that makes sense.

Yep that makes perfect sense but you can stop the game for the IDFK alone because you are stopping the game to penalise the offence that has been committed (simulation) but you also must issue a caution too so either way you stop to penalise the offence and issue a caution at the same time

Always stop with diving to issue the caution, if you go back and do it there's normally uproar.

Back