A&H

Should clubs be fined for supporters behaviour?

The Referee Store
My 1st thought when you mention point deductions is that rival fans will dress up in their rivals kit on match day and harass officials from the stands to get points knocked off their opponents! Maybe that's just me :-P

It's a serious point to discuss though - clubs and spectators will be far more compliant when points are at risk.

A club is responsible for supporter behaviour because if there's a crime, someone has to be charged. However, i can't see what club's can realistically do
Maybe if the authorities got serious aboit behaviour on the FOP, the culture off it would follow suit and there'd be no need to unfairly point the finger

A club is responsible for supporter behaviour because if there's a crime, someone has to be charged. However, i can't see what club's can realistically do
Maybe if the authorities got serious aboit behaviour on the FOP, the culture off it would follow suit and there'd be no need to unfairly point the finger
Not following your "if there's a crime, someone has to be charged" comment......think you'll find looking at the crime statistics, that is rarely true!
Club's have been made vicariously responsible for the actions of their supporters.

Not following your "if there's a crime, someone has to be charged" comment......think you'll find looking at the crime statistics, that is rarely true!
Club's have been made vicariously responsible for the actions of their supporters.
OK, on the basis that i didn't hereto know what 'vicariously' meant... i'm not qualified to quarrel.
I'm nonetheless asserting that the behaviour of footballers has a more than trivial contribution to today's moral decline and it's therefore ironic that the authorities should apportion blame elsewhere

I think that players can and should play there part here. Imagine in a matcj if a group of fans are abusing an assistant but then the players stopped playing the game and went over to the crowd and told them to stop. Some players are positively worshipped by fans and they could really get a message across.

Perhaps it's massively unlikely that they would do that but it's a thought.

Managers and players should be far less quick to criticise and have a go at officials. Their own mistakes are quickly overlooked / forgiven but officials seem to be treated much worse (cough Warnock)

Football clubs are responsible for the actions of their supporters in the same way that a pub or club is responsible for the behaviour of their patrons.

Pubs and clubs get fined and/or shut down all the time through there being problems with their patrons, whether this is drug use, drug dealing, fighting, or just antisocial behaviour etc.

You can't completely control peoples behaviour, but you can put things into place to try and mitigate or prevent the behaviour. In a pub or club this might be bouncers on the door, frequent checks of the toilets, controlled smoking areas i.e. sectioned off so people can't sneak in through the back door, CCTV, systems which store id that is presented at the door to try and catch people who've caused trouble else where etc.

A football club might place more stewards in sections of the ground where the rowdier fans are, perhaps installing CCTV so that they can identify trouble makers better, being proactive and tackling the situation as soon as it starts.

Back