A&H

Shorts with pockets

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
I'm friends with the coach of a local Sunday league team on faceache (used to train with them before I took up the whistle).

Earlier to day he was having a whinge about something that he said happened this weekend.

Apparently the referee allowed a player to play the full 90 minutes with an uncovered nose stud. Obviously we all know that the player shouldn't have been on the pitch with the nose stud, or any other jewelry on.

But, he said the referee wouldn't allow one of his subs to play as their shorts had pockets.

Stopping someone playing whilst wearing shorts that have pockets has never occurred to me. And the only possible justification I can think of is if the referee thinks that the pockets pose a threat to player safety. But I'm struggling to see how pockets in shorts could pose a risk.

Has anyone ever come across this before, or stopped someone playing because they had pockets?

The Referee Store
I'm friends with the coach of a local Sunday league team on faceache (used to train with them before I took up the whistle).

Earlier to day he was having a whinge about something that he said happened this weekend.

Apparently the referee allowed a player to play the full 90 minutes with an uncovered nose stud. Obviously we all know that the player shouldn't have been on the pitch with the nose stud, or any other jewelry on.

But, he said the referee wouldn't allow one of his subs to play as their shorts had pockets.

Stopping someone playing whilst wearing shorts that have pockets has never occurred to me. And the only possible justification I can think of is if the referee thinks that the pockets pose a threat to player safety. But I'm struggling to see how pockets in shorts could pose a risk.

Has anyone ever come across this before, or stopped someone playing because they had pockets?

Can't say I've ever heard of that one either. Seems a bit bizarre. :confused:

Can't say I've ever heard of that one either. Seems a bit bizarre. :confused:
That league does have some interesting referees.

Same coach told a referee cautioned one of his players for wearing 1 glove, sounds a bit far fetched, but I can't think of a reason why he'd lie about it.

Not unless the comp rules forbid it.

It's be more interesting to see if you'd allow a player to wear button up or zip up shorts. All the laws ask for for them to wear shorts and be safe.

We have has similar debates her in the past about unconventional footwear.

Not unless the comp rules forbid it.

It's be more interesting to see if you'd allow a player to wear button up or zip up shorts. All the laws ask for for them to wear shorts and be safe.

We have has similar debates her in the past about unconventional footwear.

I can't think of a reason why I won't allow a player to wear shorts that were fastened with a zip or buttons, unless there was something about the fastening that made them, in my opinion, unsafe.

The irony @Kes, getting lectures on 80s dodgy fashion, the kids today need a blooming belt on their pants for a start!!!

Reactions: Kes
I can't think of a reason why I won't allow a player to wear shorts that were fastened with a zip or buttons, unless there was something about the fastening that made them, in my opinion, unsafe.
Are you going to inspect that fastening?!

Zips = metal = dangerous?

To be honest, I don't think I would kick up a fuss over shorts with pockets... I don't think I've ever thought about it until this point. They just need to be shorts.

Are you going to inspect that fastening?!

Only if she's really cute . . .

This is one of those you've-got-to-be-kidding-me threads. I have about a million things more important to be concerned about than whether shorts have pockets or zippers. Only thing I'll notice on shorts is if they have the strings sticking out, as some of those are loops--and all I'm going to do is ask them to tuck them in.

I'm lucky if the goalie has a change of top to distinguish from the opposition let alone a player having spare shorts :D
Tbh if you make a big fuss over pockets and the player doesn't have a change you're gonna have to find some way to climb down that ladder else you'll end up preventing someone playing the game for an issue I see no basis in Law to have.

Only if she's really cute . . .

This is one of those you've-got-to-be-kidding-me threads. I have about a million things more important to be concerned about than whether shorts have pockets or zippers. Only thing I'll notice on shorts is if they have the strings sticking out, as some of those are loops--and all I'm going to do is ask them to tuck them in.

I was with you until the last sentence

I was with you until the last sentence

I only do youth games--not sure I'd go there if I did adult games. Tucking those in is expected where I am. (And maybe I buy into it more because of my basketball experience where those loops are more likely to to get a finger caught.)

Tucking string hanging out, especially looped are preventive, they are tempting to grab and pull by an opponent, and a hand can get caught in the loop.

Some goalies wear a hoodies in cold days. At grassroots, all I ask them is to tuck the hood and the strings in.

Back