A&H

Sheffield United vs Man City

JH

RefChat Addict
1579647513959.png
What's the excuse here then? Was the VAR getting the coffees in? (It was saved btw)

The Referee Store
Maybe my memory is off, but I thought PL said it wasn't going to use VAR for GK encroachment?

(This looks to me to be a frame or two too late, as the ball already appears to be moving, but still likely the GK was off--and if off by that much, seems pretty easy for the AR to get without the help of VAR, though I imagine the instruction is that they have to be really sure to make that call.)

Lee Mason was blooming awful all night, the worst performance by a referee at BL for quite a few years, and that includes Kieth Stroud!!!!! Mahrez was auditioning for Platoon, twice, LM fell for both!!! They don't need to cheat, they are a fantastic team!!!! How come we get refs from Greater Manchester for both City games!!! Surely there are other options!!!

Overall, City were far far better team than Liverpool at BL over 90 minutes and good teams grind out results, 0-1 probably fair but small margins is small comfort when you are up against it!!!

Last edited:
Similar to the LIV-MNU thread, if City players crowd the referee, VAR will have a look. Good behaviour is not rewarded.

Reactions: one
I'm probably on that picture top right, and from where I was it was 100% play on.;) ... deserved save after a dive!!!

Still images can be deceiving. It is still very hard for the AR to flag this. Less than half a second before the kick he had one foot over the line. This would have been an ideal job for VAR. Factual and obvious

Thus is the frame before OP which is a clear encroachment.

Screenshot_20200122-151659__01.jpg

Has any EPL AR flagged this season for GK encroachment? "PGMOL is going to leave it to the onfield officials to miss blatant offences that VAR could detect but we will get a slide rule out for offsides." (My money's on Liverpool to get the first...)

(Jesus did a stutter run - would you be more sympathetic to a GK who takes the bait and comes off the line?)

No VAR for Besic's possible SFP on Laporte?

Lee Mason was blooming awful all night, the worst performance by a referee at BL for quite a few years, and that includes Kieth Stroud!!!!! Mahrez was auditioning for Platoon, twice, LM fell for both!!! They don't need to cheat, they are a fantastic team!!!! How come we get refs from Greater Manchester for both City games!!! Surely there are other options!!!

Overall, City were far far better team than Liverpool at BL over 90 minutes and good teams grind out results, 0-1 probably fair but small margins is small comfort when you are up against it!!!
LM is poor week after week. I watched the game live. The flurry of activity after Aguero stopped the game himself for SPA (no sanction), was an uncomfortable few minutes for the MIB

It does seem a bit of an anomaly that if one of the Sheffield United defenders had cleared the ball rather than Henderson picking it up then it would presumably have been retaken for encroachment.

I can understand them not wanting to use VAR because it was becoming a bit farcical in the WWC where virtually every saved penalty was being retaken but I think they do need assistants/referees to start penalising encroachment more. I remember a time around 15 years ago when it was penalised quite a lot but over the last decade it has virtually never happened in England (apart from with VAR.)

It does seem a bit of an anomaly that if one of the Sheffield United defenders had cleared the ball rather than Henderson picking it up then it would presumably have been retaken for encroachment.

I can understand them not wanting to use VAR because it was becoming a bit farcical in the WWC where virtually every saved penalty was being retaken but I think they do need assistants/referees to start penalising encroachment more. I remember a time around 15 years ago when it was penalised quite a lot but over the last decade it has virtually never happened in England (apart from with VAR.)

While I agree encroachment should be picked up more, in the professional game it'll just end up going the other way and people will complain about all the penalties being re-taken.

It's a bit like tight offside calls. Before VAR every week there was a manager, player or pundit complaining because either the striker was (just) offside so the goal should have been ruled out, or the striker was (just) inside so the goal should have stood.

As we already saw in the WWC.

We also saw in the WWC that once it was enforced tightly, GKs adapted. (Much more quickly than I would have thought they would/could.)

When we say "we can't call that because it happens all the time," we ignore the fact that it happens all the time because it isn't called. Smart players are going to push the envelope where they can get away with it.

When we say "we can't call that because it happens all the time," we ignore the fact that it happens all the time because it isn't called. Smart players are going to push the envelope where they can get away with it.
Yep! I've always said this. The "if you give one, you'll give ten a game" narrative doesn't work because when you've given the second or third, players will be batshit insane to keep doing it (and more fool them if they do).

Cheat? Sorry Sheff but it was a clear penalty. I can't remember the name of the United player who got a yellow for the tackle on Laporte, but it was a poor tackle worthy of at least a yellow and the United fans were booing Laporte for being on the end of it. A man that's been out because of injury for 5 months.

I respect Sheff U alot and Wilder is doing a great job. I enjoy officiating at their academy. Cracking side and I'm delighted they're doing so well this season.

What does the referee being from Greater Manchester have to do with the price of fish?

Cheat? Sorry Sheff but it was a clear penalty. I can't remember the name of the United player who got a yellow for the tackle on Laporte, but it was a poor tackle worthy of at least a yellow and the United fans were booing Laporte for being on the end of it. A man that's been out because of injury for 5 months.

I respect Sheff U alot and Wilder is doing a great job. I enjoy officiating at their academy. Cracking side and I'm delighted they're doing so well this season.
I don’t think I ever referenced the penalty and a dive in the same sentence although that was very soft. The two dives I talked about were in normal play, who goes down with two arms in the air with two legs tucked behind better with aplomb than Mahrez! It’s blatant cheating and LM fell for it.
It was John fleck I think who was rightly carded for the Laporte tackle but what his injury lay off has to do with anything I’m not sure! They are all very gifted footballers so all this sly tugs and time wasting was just ****housery!

I don’t think I ever referenced the penalty and a dive in the same sentence although that was very soft. The two dives I talked about were in normal play, who goes down with two arms in the air with two legs tucked behind better with aplomb than Mahrez! It’s blatant cheating and LM fell for it.
It was John fleck I think who was rightly carded for the Laporte tackle but what his injury lay off has to do with anything I’m not sure! They are all very gifted footballers so all this sly tugs and time wasting was just ****housery!

It was the booing of Laporte from the crowd after he was fouled that I disliked. He's been out for 6 months and he's just been on the end of a poor tackle where the studs went down his ankle and he was being booed for staying down. Small issue though.

Timewasting is endemic unfortunately. At the Etihad every goal kick takes a minute. Teams spend the entire game time wasting. I don't blame them, you do what you can get away with to get a result.

It was the booing of Laporte from the crowd after he was fouled that I disliked. He's been out for 6 months and he's just been on the end of a poor tackle where the studs went down his ankle and he was being booed for staying down. Small issue though.

Timewasting is endemic unfortunately. At the Etihad every goal kick takes a minute. Teams spend the entire game time wasting. I don't blame them, you do what you can get away with to get a result.
The Fleck card was our third (all correct) but they’d had at least 2 that were equally worthy, the booing was at what appeared to be favouritism in flicking the card out with gusto when he could have easily carded 2 MC players minutes earlier.?You certainly can’t read a game if you think we were booing an injured player!

Back