A&H

SHE WHU VAR HB

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Wow, added time, the Hammers score a great equalizer but... it's chalked off.

A combination of the new handball law for 2019-20 and a review VAR - correctly by the LotG - disallow the goal due to handball by Rice. He could do nothing about it, unexpected ball, but it his hand before he controlled it and provided the assist.

Correct decision. Correct use of the protocol etc.

However, for me, no one in the stadium or on TV is expecting a review and the handball law is too extreme - unexpected ball should override other considerations IMHO.

Massive for West Ham and their new manager...

The Referee Store
I'm not sure about this one. The ball touches his arm; 2-3 seconds later, he creates the goal-scoring opportunity. My understanding is that it is only an offense if the player immediately creates the goal-scoring opportunity. Although, the laws do not provide a time-frame.
In Sunday league, I'd like to call a handball immediately rather than play on a while and call handball after a goal has been scored (or opportunity created).

Last edited:
Wow, what a rollercoaster evening,,,, Poor first half 0-0, excellent second half of football by both teams where any result was possible.
As a former referee it was ultimatly a correct decision with the new (crap) law.
As a home supporter it was massive and very very lucky, I'll take that after 7-8 that have gone against us this season including the dubious John Egans HB at Brighton!
As an away supporter I'd be fuming as it was minimal and should have been a goal for the last 150 years!

My complaint is the 2 minutes (or so) of being absolutely clueless as to what's going on! MO did very well and let a few tackles go when a more fussy referee may of got some cards out!

Moyes is screaming that the decision was wrong. I think he'll find the decision was correct...but the bloody law is wrong !!
I'm struggling to think of how that is a hand ball under the new laws.

Unless they're saying that despite two other player touched after him that it somehow lead to the goal.

I agree with what you're saying, but I see Mr Dean's point. How far back do we go ? Too ambiguous !!

It's a fair question to ask, one which has no set in stone answer!

I think this handball did lead directly to a goal though.

One more pass? 10 yards further out when he gained possession? 5 more seconds after gaining possession? There needs to be a cut off point based on one of the above...

I'm struggling to think of how that is a hand ball under the new laws.

Unless they're saying that despite two other player touched after him that it somehow lead to the goal.
If it doesn't hit his hand, does his team get that chance to score? Then the handball has lead to the goalscoring opportunity, and should not be allowed.
I think the law is fairly clear, this meets exactly one of the statements for which it is an offence.
The only requirement is that the three events happen in order: contact with hand/arm, gain possession/control, score/create GSO.

For comparison, consider how offside is done.
It doesn't matter how long between the kick and the involvement of the PIOP - if A follows B, it's an offence.
The only difference is that offside involves simpler conditions and has been settled for a lot longer. The handball law will eventually come to the same point, either through explicit rewriting or through standard guidance.

If it doesn't hit his hand, does his team get that chance to score? Then the handball has lead to the goalscoring opportunity, and should not be allowed.
I think the law is fairly clear, this meets exactly one of the statements for which it is an offence.
The only requirement is that the three events happen in order: contact with hand/arm, gain possession/control, score/create GSO.

For comparison, consider how offside is done.
It doesn't matter how long between the kick and the involvement of the PIOP - if A follows B, it's an offence.
The only difference is that offside involves simpler conditions and has been settled for a lot longer. The handball law will eventually come to the same point, either through explicit rewriting or through standard guidance.

I'm just not convinced that you can class that as creating a goal scoring opportunity. If he had then passed it to the player who scored then yes, I would say that could be classed as creating a goal scoring opportunity, but he didn't, he passed it to another player who then created the goal scoring opportunity.

He was was closer to the half way line than the penalty area when the ball hit his hand.

Edited because I can't judge distance very wwll

Last edited:
Well done IFAB
We expected a law change to rule out goals scored with the hand/arm. Fair enough
VAR is killing football without extending the law change to this nonsense. Bloody idiotic. Makes me think about turning my back on the game tbh
D6774DF7-ED46-4582-B131-B832505ED47F.jpeg
Chin up brother @Big Cat . The football gods smiled tonight....In the words of the Tevez judge,,,,, It was a bit unfair though on the West Ham fans to give them this slap on the wrist at this time of the season.... ;)

Back