A&H

SFP?

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
Had a game last night, blue v White. Blue defender sends the ball long with the striker threw on goal. Ball bounces just inside the 18 yard where the keeper successfully punches the ball, however in the process cleans out the striker and by looking at the aftermatch, has left him with a broken nose. However, just before the contact, centre back does the typically stupid thing of giving the striker a little nudge in the back propelling him into the keeper. I can’t confidently say they wouldn’t have made contact without the nudge, but still.

At the time, I gave a free kick to the attacker as the nudge came just outside the box, and booked the centre back (there wasn’t enough for DOGSO). However on reflection, I feel I should have sent the defender for SFP. I also have this back and fourth thought process for SFP for the keeper as well. On the one hand, he’s accidentally giving an elbow to the face of the attacker and broken his nose, but on the flip side I can’t be certain that it was entirely the fault of the centre back.

thoughts?

The Referee Store
Had a game last night, blue v White. Blue defender sends the ball long with the striker threw on goal. Ball bounces just inside the 18 yard where the keeper successfully punches the ball, however in the process cleans out the striker and by looking at the aftermatch, has left him with a broken nose. However, just before the contact, centre back does the typically stupid thing of giving the striker a little nudge in the back propelling him into the keeper. I can’t confidently say they wouldn’t have made contact without the nudge, but still.

At the time, I gave a free kick to the attacker as the nudge came just outside the box, and booked the centre back (there wasn’t enough for DOGSO). However on reflection, I feel I should have sent the defender for SFP. I also have this back and fourth thought process for SFP for the keeper as well. On the one hand, he’s accidentally giving an elbow to the face of the attacker and broken his nose, but on the flip side I can’t be certain that it was entirely the fault of the centre back.

thoughts?
What would Anthony Taylor and his VAR have done?

Let’s not go down that rabbit hole :D
I would've done what Anthony Taylor did (YHTBT, but probably), but I most definitely would have taken different action if I had VAR in my ear
I think that answers your Q from my perspective. Unless it was very obviously SFP, winning the ball trumps other considerations

I’m having trouble seeing SFP from a “nudge,” even if it induced or enhanced a collision. Yellow to the defender is right for me as I picture this play.

The GK is really a have to see it play. The GK won the ball. That’s not the be all and end all, but it’s a significant factor, as it is the attacker who is late and not getting to the ball. I‘d really need to see it to judge, but as I’m picturing it, I’m sticking with just the caution to the defender and nothing to the GK.

This happened in a local step 6 game and the ref went red. This was overturned on appeal with video evidence.
I think it's the opinion of the referee here and does the action endanger the opponent

Back