The Ref Stop

second yellow or a misconduct report?

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
During the game a player gets a yellow.

After the final whistle same player comes up to you and says "are you putting that through ref"?

Second yellow (USB) or a misconduct report?

I did the latter and said player got a "letter of warning" from the CFA.

I spoke to a few colleagues with a split vote on their replies.

The Ref Stop
While to "could" do either, when asked this by a player or coach I opt to go with telling them that I have to, as if I don't and the FA find out thenow i could get fined etc.

So far this approach has worked as they understand your hands are tied.

Of course, the manner in which they ask would change this. As a quiet "are you putting that in" is different to someone ranting and raving at you.

Depends on how I'm asked, sometimes I say of course, sometimes I tell them I'll think about it.....I always do and invariably I think I'd better send them in......

This is one of those areas the CFA rules really back us up nicely. We have absolutely no choice, and simply telling them that would be enough for me. As others have said, if it was aggressive and a big scene that would be different and would be a misconduct for me.

Asking whether you are going to put it through is A LOT different to asking you not to put it through. I can't see how any disciplinary charge would stick for a player asking if the referee is putting a yellow card through, as he really hasn't done anything wrong.

A varied response.

For me what is the reason the player is asking the question? Is he seeing if you will let it go like last weeks referee or is he looking to challenge you if you say you are putting it through?

In the situation i had i said "of course" and he threw his arms around and had to be pulled away by another player. I'm surprised some refs on here would do nothing at all.

Either way it does not seem to be a question for the sake of it. Once we understand the motive then the response can be logical.

A varied response.

For me what is the reason the player is asking the question? Is he seeing if you will let it go like last weeks referee or is he looking to challenge you if you say you are putting it through?

In the situation i had i said "of course" and he threw his arms around and had to be pulled away by another player. I'm surprised some refs on here would do nothing at all.

Either way it does not seem to be a question for the sake of it. Once we understand the motive then the response can be logical.

Probably because you only gave us half of the story.......

If you want us to give you a logical answer, try giving us the whole picture, rather than coming on to criticise people's responses when they don't have information which would fundamentally change how they deal with the situation.

A varied response.

See, now you've completely changed the scenario. It doesn't help anybody to come back on, say 'Oh, my my, I'm so surprised you're all so much more lenient than me' and tell us what actually happened. :rage:

Like others, the question itself is nothing. Absolutely not dissent, and I don't see it as trying to tell you not to send in so nothing reportable.
If he is trying something on with it, and he let's that show, then deal with the further actions/comments as they arise. If, after responding, he tries to convince you not to, then report it (but it's not dissent, so no caution).
In your case, the player then committed clear dissent.
So I take it you booked him and showed the red card?

Back