A&H

World Cup SCO ARG - The Timekeeper

The Referee

The referee keeps track of time but after the referee's incompetence in this match, I feel this will soon change (basketball-style time systems have been floated) and will lead to further divergence in the laws between the pro game and grassroots football.

(I didn't mention the GK off the line because opinions have been made clear in other threads)

The Referee Store
Kicks from the penalty mark are going to be fun!
The ‘what football expects’ slogan has clearly been chucked out the window.

Kicks from the penalty mark are going to be fun!
The ‘what football expects’ slogan has clearly been chucked out the window.
I have mentioned this before. What football expects is what we make them expect. Currently football expects to ignore slight keeper encroachments because for years we have ignored it. If was are consistently strict on it for a season or two, then expectations will changes and football will expect strict application encroachment laws. Its a catch 22.

I have mentioned this before. What football expects is what we make them expect. Currently football expects to ignore slight keeper encroachments because for years we have ignored it. If was are consistently strict on it for a season or two, then expectations will changes and football will expect strict application encroachment laws. Its a catch 22.

I suspect we'll see a return towards what we're used to seeing during the European men's season. It wouldn't be the first time that UEFA has referees ignore FIFA's instruction. I bet by the end of next season (including Euro 2020) that everyone will forget the absurdity of the 2019 WWC.

I have mentioned this before. What football expects is what we make them expect. Currently football expects to ignore slight substantial keeper encroachments because for years we have ignored it. If was are consistently strict on it for a season or two, then expectations will changes and football will expect strict application encroachment laws. Its a catch 22.

Fixed it for you . . .

I don't have a problem with reining in keepers (I was a keeper back when we couldn't move sideways either), but implementing it in such a radical way at the world cup is absolutely insane. The mess and outrage was totally predictable and bad for the game. (I frankly think it is absurd to use VAR on this as well--we shouldn't be holding keepers to a standard that can't be detected by normal vision on precise timing like that.)

I suspect we'll see a return towards what we're used to seeing during the European men's season. It wouldn't be the first time that UEFA has referees ignore FIFA's instruction. I bet by the end of next season (including Euro 2020) that everyone will forget the absurdity of the 2019 WWC.

It's not just the WWC, it was the same in the U20 WC. But you're right--UEFA is already not enforcing. So we have two major tournaments at the same time using completely different standards (and some of the VARs even overlap).

Fixed it for you . . .

I don't have a problem with reining in keepers (I was a keeper back when we couldn't move sideways either), but implementing it in such a radical way at the world cup is absolutely insane. The mess and outrage was totally predictable and bad for the game. (I frankly think it is absurd to use VAR on this as well--we shouldn't be holding keepers to a standard that can't be detected by normal vision on precise timing like that.)
Agree with absurdity of the manner it was brought in. But I don't think using VAR on it is a bad idea. A PK is not in the same level as a goal but they are both KMI. GLT detects goal/no goal incidents that in many cases are impossible to detect using human eye yest it is acceptable. If we don't use precision then we will gradually move back to ignoring slight encroachments then some encroachment and then substantial encroachment. I think if it has to be done, it has to be done in a precise way.

I just dont know why they dont allow goalkeepers to stand behind the line, then if they want to move forward they will then be on the line.

i wish i'd watched all this match now instead of the england one

several other complaints about the ref including not allowing a substitution to be fully completed before allowing play to restart in the build up to the penalty itself and a foul in the build up to the 1st goal. anyone confirm this?

Let’s hope that they’re getting the laser pointer out for throw ins and free kicks.... Dem mm are important! ... This will take nerdery to Level Silly...

The time keeping was infuriating last night. No team should be throwing away a 3-0 lead but Scotland had effectively lost over 5 minutes of playing time.

88th - VAR awards penalty
90th - Penalty taken
94th - Penalty retaken
96th - Full time

How they managed to work out the added time there is beyond me.

thing that got me was how obvious the penalty was and how quick the review should have been
The referee pointing at the ball after the challenge was a poor choice of signal as well

The time keeping was infuriating last night. No team should be throwing away a 3-0 lead but Scotland had effectively lost over 5 minutes of playing time.

Not only Scotland who lost 5 minutes playing time. Either team would have gone through had they been able to get a late winner so I was surprised by how happy Argentina looked at full time. It was a bizarre end to the game.

The game has become a high budget, low quality soap opera of which this is just the latest episode
IFAB and FIFA have adopted hand-brake turns with all the passengers screaming 'slow down ffs'
They appear to want drama, otherwise they'd stamp on cheating rather than otherwise undetectable selective technicalities

Last edited:
The Scotland goalkeeper was actually in the air when the ball was struck so part of her foot may have been over the goal line. It is impossible to analyse 3 dimensions with a 2 dimensional image and I think VAR forgets this (even with some offside calls).

In short, it is impossible to say whether the goalkeeper was over the goal line or not; therefore, how can VAR say a clear and obvious error had been made?

The Scotland goalkeeper was actually in the air when the ball was struck so part of her foot may have been over the goal line. It is impossible to analyse 3 dimensions with a 2 dimensional image and I think VAR forgets this (even with some offside calls).

In short, it is impossible to say whether the goalkeeper was over the goal line or not; therefore, how can VAR say a clear and obvious error had been made?

to be fair FIFA have invested in technology to do exactly this (well with offsides at least though it would work just as well with foot off the line for penalties)

to be fair FIFA have invested in technology to do exactly this (well with offsides at least though it would work just as well with foot off the line for penalties)

I was questioning whether VAR should have made the decision in this match where they where using a 2d screen to make the judgment. However, I would like to read more about this technology you mentioned; do you have a link by any chance?

Back