A&H

Rugby

Anubis

RefChat Addict
Fantastic communication and discipline all round in Wales v Scotland
I felt I knew what was going on,why, and had more clue about what was happening than I have recent var football games, despite me thinking am fully versed in the lotg
Outstanding bbc coverage too,

The Referee Store
Absolutely no interest in the sport, but love watching the rugby (union and league) referee compilation videos on YouTube. Officiating done very, very well.

Am Union only as a fan but with referee head on, jealous and envy
its all so smooth, and even though I dont kniw every nook and cranny of union rules, i feel totally at ease with the comms etc
Show me most epl and var and am left scratching head

spare me the diff mentality of players etc, sonething is wrong when a dilligent football referee gets lost watching var calls yet can follow rugby calls with limited knowledge

Completely agree with you!
I hadn't seen your thread this morning, and have (accidently) started a new one on the Italy v England match... similar ideas...
Refreshing to watch isn't it!?

Completely agree with you!
I hadn't seen your thread this morning, and have (accidently) started a new one on the Italy v England match... similar ideas...
Refreshing to watch isn't it!?

My thinking is, if I have a pretty good knowledge of football refereeing, and am lost watching var, no offence to someone on the street but how on earth do they have a clue about whats going on!
That rugby, I have a very basic understanding of, yet I come away from the last two Scotland games perfectly aware of whats went on, why etc.

there's so much we can learn from other sports, but it feels like we don't want to and we don't want to ever admit we were wrong or could do better or different

Rugby has no problem with communicating openly, in part because, whether right or wrong, the calls are accepted. We allow too much second guessing and on field questioning of decisions.
I think that, and the idea of broadcasting live ref mic's would result in a barrage of language from players not suitable for daytime TV.

Rugby has no problem with communicating openly, in part because, whether right or wrong, the calls are accepted. We allow too much second guessing and on field questioning of decisions.
I think that, and the idea of broadcasting live ref mic's would result in a barrage of language from players not suitable for daytime TV.

that's undoubtedly the case, at least initially

i'd like to think that once these 'conversations' were broadcast for all to hear there'd be a general outcry to improve language on the field of play towards fellow players and match officials - maybe i'm naïve in that hope...

I don't think that should be seen as enough to stand in the way of progress. If there's a better way to do VAR and player behaviour is the reason we can't do it, then the obvious solution isn't to scrap the improvements and keep working with a worse system, it's to improve the player behaviour.

Back