A&H

Role reversal

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3014

I’m now the player this morning & it’s a rather odd feeling, I haven’t kicked a ball for 6 months.

So usually I’m excited got my kit out going through my little routine as a referee but none of that this morning it’s back to digging my shin pads out :eek: & being part of a 15 man team again.

Before I became a ref I was known to the officials I used to tread a thin line on occasions, but today will be rather interesting, I’ve actually bumped into this ref on the circuit a couple of times so not sure if that’s good or bad.

So yeah no whistle or cards today, let’s hope I can keep on the right side of the law :D

The Referee Store
I’m now the player this morning & it’s a rather odd feeling, I haven’t kicked a ball for 6 months.

So usually I’m excited got my kit out going through my little routine as a referee but none of that this morning it’s back to digging my shin pads out :eek: & being part of a 15 man team again.

Before I became a ref I was known to the officials I used to tread a thin line on occasions, but today will be rather interesting, I’ve actually bumped into this ref on the circuit a couple of times so not sure if that’s good or bad.

So yeah no whistle or cards today, let’s hope I can keep on the right side of the law :D
Don't forget to tell the referee your a referee too..........at least it won't be a lie!

Don't forget to tell the referee your a referee too..........at least it won't be a lie!
I had a new one yesterday. I had a player tell me he knew the law because his neighbour is a referee. I had a chuckle and walked away.

Interesting game to say the least, first min of the game I carved the defence open with a 50yrd ball over the top striker latches onto it and we go 1-0 up, 1 min later player on counter attack i cynically takes his legs out, yellow all day long somehow talk myself out of it, then they go down to ten for studs up nearly broke our fellas leg, second half we go down to ten for dissent, I had a decent game couldn’t run for sh*t though (quickly remembered why I hung the boots up). I was very vocal a lot more than I usually am, bantering them and the ref basically pulling the strings verbally quite enjoyed it actually.

So yeah we lost 4-2 but good to kick a ball again, if anything it’s given me food for thought regarding the way I ref, I remembered how passionate it can get out there.

As for moving forward I’ve got some decisions to make weather I play ref or both, not sure I can do both though tbh bit of a conflict of interests.

God help the player that gives you some verbals.......probably end up lamping them!

That’s just it padfoot being a player I can rip right into an opponent that starts, something I struggled to come to terms with wearing my referee shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I divorced myself from playing 11 years ago after a cameo performance in a friendly. Apparently my old striker tactics are shunned now. Not sure what happened but you can’t do the dark arts that got me as top goal scorer from U12 to my first year in OA at 16. I wasn’t a superstar, I was a sniffer, but they knew they’d been in a game.

In a way I wished I hadn’t played Sheff, nothing compares to being out there ball at feet the passion you feel the buzz & all that comes with it.

Although my legs have gone & I really do enjoy refereeing.

Gonna be a tough decision to make in the summer because the one thing I know is I can’t do both.

Different muscles being used, I don’t think players realise our mileage but it’s without the jumping and challenging stuff so not really comparable.

I went back on the tools for a week last year, by the Thursday I was stiff as a crab in the morning.

Don’t get me wrong I’m knackered after refereeing but it’s not as intense and you can cheat from time to time and not chase the play, as a player you have no choice but to run & get involved.

Tbh I’ll probably be sticking with the refereeing, good to play a game occasionally though to get a different perspective.

February last year, an hour into a league game towards the end of what was my 19th season at OA football it occurrd to me for the first time in my life that I no longer enjoyed playing and I knew at that point that id never play again.

First season as a referee and Its great to be enjoying something which will keeo me active and involved in football for hopefully decades to come. It'll never beat playing, but taking up the whistle was a decision well made.

February last year, an hour into a league game towards the end of what was my 19th season at OA football it occurrd to me for the first time in my life that I no longer enjoyed playing and I knew at that point that id never play again.

First season as a referee and Its great to be enjoying something which will keeo me active and involved in football for hopefully decades to come. It'll never beat playing, but taking up the whistle was a decision well made.

I have to agree, Sunday was 20yrs of me playing & now I’ve had time to reflect on it that’s me done, I enjoyed being back amongst the lads the banter being part of a team but refereeing is for me now.

I had zero buzz whatsoever before Sunday’s game but tonite I’ve got a game to ref and I’m looking forward to it, never thought I’d fall out of love with playing footy but I’ve got the refereeing bug now & it feels like the right time to switch.

Plus I usually take a day to recover from refereeing it’s been three days since I played and my legs are still shot to pieces.

Back