A&H

Robot linos are coming thanks to Arsene

santa sangria

RefChat Addict

"Arsène Wenger has said that Fifa will be ready to use automated offsides at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Wenger is Fifa’s Chief of Global Football Development and has been overseeing trials of the technology which sends assistant referees a near-instant message when a player is offside — the official then only has to judge if the attacker is interfering with play.

The artificial intelligence system uses automated ball detection, limb-tracking and algorithms to produce three-dimensional models of a player’s position.

“The automated offside I think will be ready for 2022,” Wenger, the former Arsenal manager, said. “Automated means it goes directly from the signal to the linesman and the linesman has on his watch a red light that tells him offside or not..."

"AI" LOL

The Referee Store
What I really want is an AI system to signal to world cup referees if a player has commited dissent or when it's past that and is offinabus. That seems to be even harder for the officials to detect than offside.

A yellow and red light on their watch should do the trick.

"Arsène Wenger has said that Fifa will be ready to use automated offsides at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Wenger is Fifa’s Chief of Global Football Development and has been overseeing trials of the technology which sends assistant referees a near-instant message when a player is offside — the official then only has to judge if the attacker is interfering with play.

The artificial intelligence system uses automated ball detection, limb-tracking and algorithms to produce three-dimensional models of a player’s position.

“The automated offside I think will be ready for 2022,” Wenger, the former Arsenal manager, said. “Automated means it goes directly from the signal to the linesman and the linesman has on his watch a red light that tells him offside or not..."

"AI" LOL
We said it was inevitable... well you and I did ;)
I defo did ;)
They'll probably make a complete 4rse of it, especially as it can only be envisaged as rushed

We are headed for two versions of laws I feel, with iifabs philosophy well and truly out the window...
Pro game and parks game becoming further and further estranged with each passing technology introduction

I wonder how much it would cost to develop, build, and implement such a system. This system would need to:
Track the ball constantly
Track every player constantly
Be able to determine when an attacking player is between the second to last defending player and the goal line
Whether a player has come back from an offside position
Whether a player is gaining an advantage from being in an offside position
Whether the part of an attacking players body that is in an offside position is a part of the body that can be used to legally play the ball
Be able to determine who played the ball last

there must be more things, but that’s all that immediately springs to mind.

It just seems like pie in the sky stuff to me, especially when some of the richest and most technologically advanced countries in the world struggle to make a car that can drive itself around a race track without crashing.

I wonder how much it would cost to develop, build, and implement such a system. This system would need to:
Track the ball constantly
Track every player constantly
Be able to determine when an attacking player is between the second to last defending player and the goal line
Whether a player has come back from an offside position
Whether a player is gaining an advantage from being in an offside position
Whether the part of an attacking players body that is in an offside position is a part of the body that can be used to legally play the ball
Be able to determine who played the ball last

there must be more things, but that’s all that immediately springs to mind.

It just seems like pie in the sky stuff to me, especially when some of the richest and most technologically advanced countries in the world struggle to make a car that can drive itself around a race track without crashing.
The exact moment the ball is played

I suspect the technology they are talking about will only be used to determine if a player is in an offside position when the ball is played. It won't be relied on to determine if a touch by a defender is a block, or whether the player is active, for example.

Tracking every player and the ball is totally achievable. Determining which parts of the body are beyond the last defender might be more tricky. If the law is changed to 'daylight' per Wenger's wishes this would be much easier.

I suspect the technology they are talking about will only be used to determine if a player is in an offside position when the ball is played. It won't be relied on to determine if a touch by a defender is a block, or whether the player is active, for example.

Tracking every player and the ball is totally achievable. Determining which parts of the body are beyond the last defender might be more tricky. If the law is changed to 'daylight' per Wenger's wishes this would be much easier.
This is what they're building towards in the short to medium term. Touch and go whether it's ready for the World Cup.
I think Wenger over eggs things so the actual changes are seen as moderate.

AI development is accelerating very rapidly.

AI development is going along at a relatively quick rate, but I don’t think it would be ready for the World Cup, or that it would be financially viable or accurate enough.

Any form of GPS wouldn’t work because it isn’t accurate enough, and systems like HawkEye can watch players but doesn’t have the decision making abilities.

It also raises the question of why bother with it, they can’t even get all countries using VAR the same way and that is just someone say in a trailer watching a tv.

I don't see how that makes it any easier. Either way requires an exact measurement of the attacker's foremost eligible body part and an exact measurement of an opponent's lead or trail body part.

And that would be a rather radical change to OS law--it gives attackers about an extra yard to be onside and will significantly change how defenders have to play defense. It's a law change that favors teams that park the bus. Exactly what we want to encourage. :rolleyes:

Back