A&H

Riise's header back to the keeper

Ross

Forum VAR
Staff member
Level 6 Referee
FA Referee
Dont know if you saw it, but I was asked on twitter about it. Riise basically headed the ball whilst it was on the floor back to the keeper

Could a caution be issued for C1 for this, as well as an indirect free kick?
I've seen something similar in a game I happened to be watching but never in one of my games

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Hi
No way this can be an offence. It can only be an offence if the player uses a deliberate trick to circumvent the law. This play was not contrived or set up by Riise so he was entitled to do what he did. If an opponent was close enough and he was prevented from playing the ball because of Riise low head then it would be playing in a dangerous manner.
If Riise and a team mate contrived a situation for the ball to be played to Riise in a way that it is set up to be headed back to the Gk then that is circumvention which is punished by a caution and the restart is an IDFK.

I would say the the same as goldfish just in a less fancy way.... however I do LOVE Riise so he can do anything and get away with it!!

Fine by me. As Goldfish said, if the situation was "contrived" by Fulham players so Riise could head the ball back to Stockdale, it would not be in the spirit of the laws so they should all be sent off.........sorry, lost it for a mo! Indirect free kick where keeper controls back pass, and caution Riise and teammate involved in set up. Common sense and gut feeling prevail again!

Back