A&H

Right Outcome - but wrong (non) decision

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Annoyed with myself after yesterday.

2-1 - near end of game, I award a free kick to losing team just outside penalty area

Attacker goes and stands in front of keeper. Defender (stupidly) stands next to her.

I'm thinking, defender only has to move up and attacker has to follow or be offside.

Blow whistle, defender (not really deliberately) steps forward, so I'm thinking 'offside'.

Ball hits bar and bounces down - it was close, but I'm thinking that's over the line, about to blow my whistle, but something stops me, no idea why I didn't.

Game ends 3 mins later game over and it wasn't until afterwards I think, 'You know what ball was over the line, but attacker was offside' - so right outcome, but I should have called the offside - its been bugging me, but at least the outcome was correct.

Manager annoyed me - when I said at post match handshake 'I needed one of those magic watches for that one' - she replied 'Ball hit the top of the net' . That was clearly nonsense as I heard and saw it hit the bar and the bar only, if it had hit the 'top of the net' - think she meant where the net meets the bar on the underside - clearly the ball would most likely have stayed in the net.

Still don't know why I didn't just call the offside though!:oops::confused:

The Referee Store
Good spot and good that you know for next time. Sounds like one of those that, the first time it happens, is a mind-bender. Do you think if you had had NARs you would have had a different thought process?

Good spot and good that you know for next time. Sounds like one of those that, the first time it happens, is a mind-bender. Do you think if you had had NARs you would have had a different thought process?

Good question.

I wouldn't have been in a position to judge either offside or the ball over the line - so yes it would have been a totally different mindset/situation!

Tough one. In situations like this, is it worth reconsidering where you stand if you don't have a NAR?
My positioning is quite different with a NAR vs without one.
You may have gotten off easy - it could have blown up badly at the time :)
As you say, right outcome, after a fashion!

Tough one. In situations like this, is it worth reconsidering where you stand if you don't have a NAR?
My positioning is quite different with a NAR vs without one.
You may have gotten off easy - it could have blown up badly at the time :)
As you say, right outcome, after a fashion!

I was in the right position for both the ball over the line and the offside - brain just didn't process what I had seen into the correct action!:oops:

Back