A&H

Right I’m not qualified but like to ref my sons under 10s games and under 12s games.

Phildavies9

Morning, i have my level 1 coaching badge, but no ref accreditation, and enjoy refereeing both of my sons weekend matches. Under 10s and under 12s. Ive a match this Sunday, which ive been asked to ref, under 12s. Ive read up on the rules, agree to the “let them retake a dodgy throw in” etc etc, just could do with some advise on a few things. I believe the normal laws of the game apply like 10yard back for free kick, but:
1) if a player is down injured, what’s the protocol, play on unless head injury? Or blow up, stop game, drop ball once resolved for any type of injury?
2) what’s the action that would warrant a red card? Ive read its refs discretion or red for fighting, and red for deliberate online hand ball?
3) is a red card straight off for the rest of the game the only punishment, or is it tell the coach to sub him, or player off for a period of time then back on?

Appreciate any help and advice,

Many thanks

The Referee Store
Dont know how things are where you are but where I am, if your not a qualified referee then the laws are immaterial as they dont apply to the officiating that you are doing.

1. Don't stop play unless serious injury. What's serious in U10 is not the same as in PL.

2. Seven ways to get a red card. Read law 12. Too long to type here. http://www.theifab.com/laws

3. Once a red card is shown. Player leaves the field of play and vicinity (be sensible for U12 and U10 about this) and will not return to the game. He is not replaced.

Thanks ciley.... but what would the rules be?

Best someone else answers, as they dont apply to a referee who aint qualified

That said, my take on it would be along lines of

1> leaning towards stopping play, taking no risks, and restart with drop ball
2> if had to issue a red for sfp, v/c then certainly would. U10 i prob not dismiss for handball on line or dogso. If u12 is full pitch and an official game, I would lean more towards red. Player giving me jip or just being a pain, would prob make it clear a substitution might be in order
3>. Red means no further part in game. Player sent off for say, lashing out at someone, has already shown you what he is willing to do. Dont risk a repeat

Where I am anyone who starts a game as a referee, even an unqualified one, has the same powers and duties of an officially appointed qualified referee.

I get that. What i mean though is, a report of misconduct would mean nothing here coming from someone who is not registered.
They can perform a referee role, submit a score but if not registered then nothing to do with the local referee association. Would be instructed to stop wearing a badge, if was doing so
And needs be child protected etc, regardles of what certificate has a coach here

Cheers one, appreciate your help. What would you suggest is the difference between an under 10s player being down injured and probably not getting up until he has had the magic sponge! and a “serious injury?”. Do you suggest blow up even when a player is down and not getting up until seen? Even though in reality its probably not serious?

And ciley, where i am, none of the matches to date have been refereed by a qualified ref. Not sure what age the kids will be when one gets introduced. But so far, never came across anyone qualified and my eldest is 12.

In an under 10, I would treat almost all injuries serious. The more serious ones (the ones you stop the game for even adults), you stop straight away. The less serious, if a team has a good goal scoring opportunity, wait a little bit.

But appreciate your advice on my points ciley, your right i think on the injury. Take no risks. But previously ive had an incident where a players down, under 10s, clearly not “serious” but still he is down, and the other team are racing forward with a chance on goal. So its a tough one, can see if from the point of view from both coaches.

I get that. What i mean though is, a report of misconduct would mean nothing here coming from someone who is not registered.
They can perform a referee role, submit a score but if not registered then nothing to do with the local referee association. Would be instructed to stop wearing a badge, if was doing so
And needs be child protected etc, regardles of what certificate has a coach here
My association requires every send off and report worthy incidents to be reported no matter if the referee is an officially appointed qualified referee or a parent/mate picked on the day. It makes more sense that way. Otherwise it's free for all if the referee is unqualified, the worse you get is the rest of the game, And if you are losing in the 90th minutes, why would you not commit SFP/VC against the chap who has been a pain in the arse to you all game.

Sounds like you enjoy refereeing Phil so get yourself on the course and you'll be fully qualified for next season.

As for this season, don't worry about the little things, just think safety first in everything that you do when it comes to kids football and you won't be far wrong. Get yourself on the course. It sounds like you enjoy reffing, the league is desperate for refs so it's win win plus you can make a bit of cash doing it.

Reactions: one
Even at U12s football kids are clever and will probably fake injury if another team is on the attack, dont stop it all the time.

We also know have sin bins for anyone showing dissent as well.

Great spuddy cheers , sin bins just for giving the ref some verbals ? And how does it work , off for 2/5/? Minutes , stood with his coach ?

Back