A&H

Reversing a throw-in

Joe

Level 5 Referee
In tonight's game between Man City and Everton, Martin Atkinson penalised John Stones for taking too long on a throw-in and gave the throw to City instead. Can someone please point out to me where in the LOTG you can do this? I had a quick look through and couldn't see anything that said that this is the correct procedure.
Pretty sure Clattenburg did the same thing in the Chelsea game recently too.

The Referee Store
That's illegal. Sure it wasn't changing it based on new information, or due to a foul throw?
All the ref can do is caution for delaying the restart of play (though you'd try to manage it first unless it's overly persistent) but they still have the throw.

The Chelsea game, Clatts was telling the player to move back. When he didn't, he gave it to the other team for throwing from the wrong place.

Can't comment on the Atkinson incident, as I didn't see that one...

yes i think Clattenberg was indicating that he had taken the throw from the wrong place no one batted an eyelid from what i recall

@Joe The referee was correct, as on both occasions he indicated that the throw had been taken from the incorrect place, and as per the LOTG he awarded the throw to the opposition.

At grass-roots level it is normal for a referee to manage the player through voice or hand gestures (!), e.g. "Back 10 player" or pointing where it is to be taken from. I'd imagine the same was happening here, and the player either ignored or didn't hear the instruction and was penalised.

@Joe The referee was correct, as on both occasions he indicated that the throw had been taken from the incorrect place, and as per the LOTG he awarded the throw to the opposition.

At grass-roots level it is normal for a referee to manage the player through voice or hand gestures (!), e.g. "Back 10 player" or pointing where it is to be taken from. I'd imagine the same was happening here, and the player either ignored or didn't hear the instruction and was penalised.

Thought point of latest incident and O/P was that he hadn't actually taken the throw though?

That's the contention in the OP but it is also contradicted by two later posts which present an alternative scenario - that the throw was actually taken from the wrong place.

That's the contention in the OP but it is also contradicted by two later posts which present an alternative scenario - that the throw was actually taken from the wrong place.

The Everton captain was quoted as saying he was puzzled because throw had NOT actually been taken, think that's why it has provoked discussion.

The Everton captain was quoted as saying he was puzzled because throw had NOT actually been taken, think that's why it has provoked discussion.
I think looking at some video footage of the incident might be helpful. I have to say I watched the game but I don't recall the incident although I wasn't dedicating my attention 100% to the match so I'm not surprised I missed it. If anyone knows roughly around what minute of the game it took place, I can go back and check it but I don't fancy sitting through all 90 minutes again just to see if I can spot it.

Back