A&H

Returning to open age middles

LM1996

Evening guys

I returned to refereeing this season as a Level 7 after quitting back in 2015 when I was 18. I quit due to an incident of abuse/threats on a Sunday league game in Southampton whilst I was at Uni.

I returned this season and have mainly being doing step 6 lines and u18 lines. I’ve been doing women’s middles as a way of getting back into it.

As with most, I’d really like to move forward with my refereeing and that will mean returning to open age mens football. I just wondered if anybody had any advice for returning and how to overcome these nerves and past experiences?

The Referee Store
You can never get rid of nerves and in fact in most cases it's a good thing. The best of referees admit to having nerves before going into most games.

Past experience is just that past, and something to learn from. Sorry that you had to go through it but make the most of the learning. There is no guarantee it won't happen again but the positive side is that you are now much more prepared for it. Unfortunately most of us have those games, more than once.

I think you have come back the right way. Wish you the best.

Evening guys

I returned to refereeing this season as a Level 7 after quitting back in 2015 when I was 18. I quit due to an incident of abuse/threats on a Sunday league game in Southampton whilst I was at Uni.

I returned this season and have mainly being doing step 6 lines and u18 lines. I’ve been doing women’s middles as a way of getting back into it.

As with most, I’d really like to move forward with my refereeing and that will mean returning to open age mens football. I just wondered if anybody had any advice for returning and how to overcome these nerves and past experiences?
At 24/25 years old you are a different person to that 18-year-old University 1st year student away from home.
You will be more readily accepted at your age.
Choose your league(s) carefully - watch a couple of games in a league to get a feel for it.
Go out there, do it, enjoy it😁

Thanks guys, that’s really helpful! I always knew that I’d want to build my way back up to open age mens by doing some lines on the supply league and work as a 3.

I’m sure I will enjoy it once I get back out there and my age should now help me a tad more than it did before!

Back