A&H

Retake penalty after kick before whistle

AJPeacock

Level 7 Referee
Interested in your views on something that I did yesterday in a U12 League game. Penalty awarded, going through routine, goal keeper on line, kicker identified, told to wait for whistle, ball on spot other players outside box. Just as I am backing away from spot, kicker runs up and kicks, before I have blown my whistle. I call out to stop him as he starts his run up, but he carries through. I immediately say wait for my whistle, take it back and start again.

The keeper saved the first attempt, but he scored the second time.

I have looked through law 14, in the LOTG, and all of the offences and sanctions read to me that they occur after the referee has signalled for the kick to be taken. So I think I did the correct thing.

But at the same time it does feel like the attacking team were advantaged by being given a second chance.

The Referee Store
Interested in your views on something that I did yesterday in a U12 League game. Penalty awarded, going through routine, goal keeper on line, kicker identified, told to wait for whistle, ball on spot other players outside box. Just as I am backing away from spot, kicker runs up and kicks, before I have blown my whistle. I call out to stop him as he starts his run up, but he carries through. I immediately say wait for my whistle, take it back and start again.

The keeper saved the first attempt, but he scored the second time.

I have looked through law 14, in the LOTG, and all of the offences and sanctions read to me that they occur after the referee has signalled for the kick to be taken. So I think I did the correct thing.

But at the same time it does feel like the attacking team were advantaged by being given a second chance.
They were not given a second chance because there was never a first chance. Had he scored, it would not have counted. You did the right thing. Hard to take for the defenders. If they complain because he missed, all you have to say is "had he scored, it wouldn't have counted either"

They were not given a second chance because there was never a first chance. Had he scored, it would not have counted. You did the right thing. Hard to take for the defenders. If they complain because he missed, all you have to say is "had he scored, it wouldn't have counted either"

Thanks. That was pretty much how I felt at the time. But, a little doubt crept in over the rest of the day.

Reactions: one
Think this is wrong but maybe not in law. Like to think I'd have played on........

As above, probably wrong in law, but if he had missed I would have said play on, if he had scored retake

Until recently, the Laws said "signal" and had nothing about the whistle being required. (It's actually recent that the word whistle appeared in the Laws.) Before that change, it was easier to assume that the kicker must have recognized a "signal" that you must have made, or he wouldn't have kicked the ball, so goal kick it is. Now, it is clear in Law that if there was no whistle, the kick was not taken. I personally think that's is a good candidate for change--or at least it should be an automatic caution for delaying the restart.

Thanks. That was pretty much how I felt at the time. But, a little doubt crept in over the rest of the day.
As above, probably wrong in law, but if he had missed I would have said play on, if he had scored retake
Tempting isn't it? :)

But think about the consequences. In effect you are punishing over eagerness to take a PK with (not waiting for the whistle) with "you don't have a PK now" (given that even a goal would have been disallowed also). You are also voiding the punishment for the original offence that caused the PK. Let's say it was a certain goal bound ball kept out by a blatant and deliberate handball.

I'd say lets just stick to what the law says.

I disagree.

The kicker now has the chance to adjust their approach to the kick. They've had a practice - now they get the real kick.

It's why this is a really dumb aspect in law. It would make so much more sense if we could simply consider it an offence before the kick and treat it like every other infringement.

Same as at a ceremonial FK - if it goes over the bar, that should be it.

Back