A&H

Restart

Dan 748

Level 7 Referee
Having just watched the Chelsea/Arsenal game, the game was stopped due to a head injury inside the Arsenal penalty area, when Chelsea were about to cross from the right touchline.
Upon the restart Craig Pawson gave the ball to the Arsenal keeper.
I know the law is the keeper gets the ball if the play is stopped inside the area, but the play was outside the area with Chelsea, the incident is in the area. Can anyone confirm?? I am assuming Mr Pawson is correct.

Dan

The Referee Store
Haven’t seen the play, but the rule is if either the ball was in the PA or if the ball was last touched in the PA. And the magic moment is when the R is stopping play.

If the ball was still outside in possession of the attacking team when play was stopped, the roper restart is a DB to the attacking team. Where the injury occurred is totally irrelevant.

I thought it was odd as, and I'll caveat this by saying I wasn't really playing attention, I thought a Chelsea player had touched the ball out on the right wing before play was stopped. In which case it should have been dropped at that place to Chelsea.

Thank you. I thought Chelsea should have had the drop ball restart, but thought I may have misinterpreted the law as regards to penalty area, especially as it was a premier referee.

I noticed it too. It should have been a drop to Chelsea. A trivial error though.

Back