A&H

Report or not?

Context: 6-1 to home team 1 minute to go. U9
Incident: home team has possession heavy shoulder barge sent kid flying that I judged to be fair and just that the one kid was bigger than the other. Cries for free kick that I don’t give for a player to then shout at me ref are you on drugs? I immediately stop play and ask the manager to remove him which he complies with for the player to to go you don’t know what you’re doing. At this point I say he needs to be careful with what he’s saying and needs to be respectful for the manager to then say that I have a serious ego problem and that I should grow up. Away manager (6-1 down) then steps in and tells the manager to be quiet because he thought I’d had a great game and that they’re overreacting. Game soon ends and manager comes over and tells me that the kid was upset and that I shouldn’t have “had a go at him” I felt that I was perfectly justified in my decision and could very easily have sent off manager or player but chose not to and explained that next weeks ref could have sent him off for a comment like that. I then said I would not further discuss it and luckily parents from either teams came over and handed the money and I walked away as quick as I could onto my 3rd game of the day
3 things, was I justified or not, should I report it and also should I be reporting about the kid talking about drugs at 8 years old?

The Referee Store

es1

RefChat Addict
a yellow for dissent to the player is probably more appropriate imo, or even a strong warning, but if you think it's a red, i'd send off rather than ask to be removed, even at U9.

i'd also not be considering reporting it. it certainly doesnt fall under any conventional disciplinary section (unless you were reporting as a red car for using insulting language - but you cant as you didnt send off) is it a child safeguarding issue? potentially but i think that's pushing the boat out a little

You have to be there but my first thought is that if the shoulder barge was heavy enough to send the player flying I might well have gone for the free kick especially with a minute to go and the game well over.

a yellow for dissent to the player is probably more appropriate imo, or even a strong warning, but if you think it's a red, i'd send off rather than ask to be removed, even at U9.

i'd also not be considering reporting it. it certainly doesnt fall under any conventional disciplinary section (unless you were reporting as a red car for using insulting language - but you cant as you didnt send off) is it a child safeguarding issue? potentially but i think that's pushing the boat out a little
Looking back on it I wish I’d just of given the yellow but I found the way he said it to be completely unbelievable and in all honesty I’ve never heard something like that said before and thought that because of the way he said it even as a 9 year old was very disrespectful but would of made it easier for myself with a strong word - aswell as that I really think it’s something a 9 year old shouldn’t be bringing up infront of the rest of the kids on the pitch including the 7 year olds from the pitch next door

You have to be there but my first thought is that if the shoulder barge was heavy enough to send the player flying I might well have gone for the free kick especially with a minute to go and the game well over.
With the minute to go at 6-1 I wish I would’ve but the game was played quiet physically and there’d been many similar to that that caused no problems just this time it was right in front of the manager who’d caused a couple of problems during the game and I think his reaction caused the players outburst in all honesty

Unfortunately, reporting something that happened during the match and that you chose not to act on in the moment will probably reflect fairly poorly on you. You had the cards in your pocket and could have done something that would have been formally reportable, but didn't. If it was bad enough that you still felt the need to report it later, the CFA will feel that you should have dealt with it in the moment.

There are exceptions of course- if you feel a genuine danger, then just get out of there and report later, don't make things worse by flashing cards. And obviously anything that happens after a match or involving a player/manager who's already been shown red causing trouble will justify additional reports. But it doesn't sound from your description that any of these conditions apply, so as a result, I'd have to advise that reporting to the CFA is not the way to go.

Safeguarding may still be a way you could go if you like. If you're doing multiple matches in the same place, I suspect you've been hired by a club official rather than that specific home manager? If that's the case, you could have a word with that person about your concerns - they may be able to have a quiet word with the manager, or pass your concerns onto a club welfare officer. But even this has risks - you might end up alienating the entire club, or if you do turn up to referee the same team again, you'll be starting the game at a disadvantage. Consider carefully if you think there is value in going down this route.

People in football understand cards. They might not like or agree with them, but they understand them. Sneaking around afterwards and "tattling" on people in the form of extraordinary or welfare reports aren't well understood and may well come across poorly - especially when you seemed happy to just let it go on the day.

Last edited:
From reading some of your posts on other threads, i'd guess that you're under 18? Does your FA not promote the purple shirt campaign for refs under 18? Regardless if they do or not, if you are U18, you're still covered under child safeguarding and the manager shouldn't be speaking to you like he did. It might be worth submitting a misdemeanor report - but others might be able to advise if this would be the right course of action.

From reading some of your posts on other threads, i'd guess that you're under 18? Does your FA not promote the purple shirt campaign for refs under 18? Regardless if they do or not, if you are U18, you're still covered under child safeguarding and the manager shouldn't be speaking to you like he did. It might be worth submitting a misdemeanor report - but others might be able to advise if this would be the right course of action.
No, my county doesn’t support the purple shirt campaign, from others advice that it’d come back badly on me I’ll probably leave it. I am 15 and wasn’t too happy with how he spoke to me but unfortunately that’s how it seems to be with few but some managers and have unfortunately had a lot worse than that and no longer take it personally. Hopefully I’ll no longer get allocated their games as in all honesty I don’t fancy that conversation about that game

Context: 6-1 to home team 1 minute to go. U9
Incident: home team has possession heavy shoulder barge sent kid flying that I judged to be fair and just that the one kid was bigger than the other. Cries for free kick that I don’t give for a player to then shout at me ref are you on drugs? I immediately stop play and ask the manager to remove him which he complies with for the player to to go you don’t know what you’re doing. At this point I say he needs to be careful with what he’s saying and needs to be respectful for the manager to then say that I have a serious ego problem and that I should grow up. Away manager (6-1 down) then steps in and tells the manager to be quiet because he thought I’d had a great game and that they’re overreacting. Game soon ends and manager comes over and tells me that the kid was upset and that I shouldn’t have “had a go at him” I felt that I was perfectly justified in my decision and could very easily have sent off manager or player but chose not to and explained that next weeks ref could have sent him off for a comment like that. I then said I would not further discuss it and luckily parents from either teams came over and handed the money and I walked away as quick as I could onto my 3rd game of the day
3 things, was I justified or not, should I report it and also should I be reporting about the kid talking about drugs at 8 years old?
The first 2 points of your final sentence have been well covered already. The final point about potentially reporting the kid for talking about drugs at 8 years old is a clear NO. The referee is not there to make a moral judgement on such things. What you may find shocking others find the norm based on their experiences and location. 8 year olds referring to drugs is not shocking in South Manchester where I grew up and football grounds are/were often hostile environments. Equally, I finished my playing days in the Peak District and its a pleasant environment, almost sterile. Dont go looking to be offended or to pass moral judgement on things outside of a referees remit.

Well done on raising those points on here. Its a great learning tool.

I know what you are saying and don't be disheartened from it. Regarding not getting allocated their games, i wouldn't worry about it (though that's easy for me to say as i'm alot older than you).
Last season i reffed my son's U14's against the team that were top of the league. Prior to the game, my son;s team hadn't won a game (only lost by a goal or drawn their games) so the away team turn up expecting a walk over and lost 4-0. I was told afterwards by one of my son's coaches, that the away manager commented that i was the worst ref he'd ever seen (good job i didn't hear him!). The away manager is a league secretary and a referee.
A couple of weeks ago i referee both teams again. this time the away team win (by a goal) and i send 2 players off for fighting (1 from each team) and he came over after the game, thanked me and said i had a great game !!!!. I think the result reflects on the comments received.
Move on from that game, and look forward to the next. You seem like a confident young man who enjoys refereeing so don't let 1 game or 1 comment put you off.

No, my county doesn’t support the purple shirt campaign, from others advice that it’d come back badly on me I’ll probably leave it. I am 15 and wasn’t too happy with how he spoke to me but unfortunately that’s how it seems to be with few but some managers and have unfortunately had a lot worse than that and no longer take it personally. Hopefully I’ll no longer get allocated their games as in all honesty I don’t fancy that conversation about that game
It would be sensible to have a word with your Referee Appointments Officer to ask whether he/she can avoid sending you to that club. The Appointments Officer needs to be aware of the issue or nothing will be done to stop the coach behaving as he does.
Youth leagues have protocols in place to protect Under-18 referees.

It's no use reporting it now, since you didn't take the action that you ought to have taken at the time.

Game soon ends and manager comes over and tells me that the kid was upset and that I shouldn’t have “had a go at him”

It is a sending-off offense for a manager to enter the field of play to remonstrate with the referee. He should have been shown the card at this point and the appropriate report made.

Back