A&H

Reminder to all - Admin Admin Admin

jwking

This will be in the blog feed below so appologies for the duplication, however felt it was worth putting here as well. This happened yesterday to me and ive blogged about.

"All the way through your career as Referee, people will tell you to get your admin right. Let me give you a great example as to why this.
So last night I was due to be on a supply league line. I had accepted the game original. However due to a work commitment that would have made it tight for making the game, i emailed the appointment's officer on Friday coming of the game. I recived a response saying no problem. I also emailed the club informing them.
Last night at 9PM i got a missed call alert on my mobile. Signal around my home being awful. It was a missed call from the match referee from 7.15 asking me where I was.
He was clearly out for the 2nd half at this stage but I called him back and left a voice mail on his phone. I then tried to call our assistant appointments officer, who didn't answer. So I then called the Referee's appointment officer who was at the game.
He confirmed that only one assistant ahd turned up and that the Assistant appointment officer was non the wiser to where I was!
I pointed out rather quickly that I would forward him the email from him acknowledging my removal from the fixture and also the email I sent to the home club. I also pointed out that the Referee calling me 15 minutes before kick off to see where I was when I should have been there'd 45 minutes before was a bit late. I also pointed out that if he had called me prior to the game to arrange travel and confirm I was still on it, this could have been avoided.
Luckily through experince through football and work I tend to keep every bit of email to cover myself. So could clear my name quite quickly.
I cringe in meetings when people say it but it has to be said. Make sure you get your admin right otherwise it will bite you!

The Referee Store
I know exactly how this feels. Difference in my situation was that I originally closed the date, noticed when the fixtures came out that I'd been appointed to a game, cue email being sent reminding appointments secretary that it was a closed date. He responded with a "no worries"

Then on the day, I get 20 million phone calls asking where I was, told the referee I'd closed the date a long time before the fixture.
I took great pleasure in forwarding the email chain back to the appointments secretary and the league chairman.

Funnily enough, never refereed on that league again :)

Admin is the one area I really have to keep on top on. Refereeing has forced me to start using a diary (although I've already lost one!).

Admin is the one area I really have to keep on top on. Refereeing has forced me to start using a diary (although I've already lost one!).

Dunno if you can or want to , but i use the diary on my iPhone - that way i am always on top of it (games, notes etc) and my admin is always done ok. Personally, I do all my admin for games immediately after the game, and as i am going for promotion at the moment, I just make sure that as soon as my league gives me fixtures, they are sent to the RDO and Assessor co-ordinator.

My iPhone contains my life. I use the calendar for pretty much everything but I make sure I back it up to my laptop on a weekly basis.

Unfortunately my reffing calendar is empty. So only work based reminders needed in mine :(

Mine's been really manic so far thankfully. Including my one hour games at the Keele Cup, my middle and lines tally passed the 40-game mark for the season on Sunday.

Filofax does the job nicely for me :cool:

Filofax?! Is this you on your mobile:

mobile-phone-rex_1686025c.jpg

;)

Back