A&H

Refusing to attend a disciplinary hearing

wakeyref

Hi all,

What happens if a referee refuses to attend a personal hearing in which they have been asked to attend as a witness?

The Referee Store
Suspension........fine........no more refereeing.........ever!
It's a bigger crime than arson on the King's dockyard.........

I am no longer refereeing and I never intend to do it again - so what can they do?
My only involvement in football will be as a Committee Member for a local league.

I am no longer refereeing and I never intend to do it again - so what can they do?
My only involvement in football will be as a Committee Member for a local league.
If you get a fine and don't pay even that could be in question.....why not just go, all you have to do is confirm what you put in your report, no more, no less.....

The case in a nutshell:
- I did a game on the Saturday and was assaulted by a player; it took my County FA three weeks to suspend this player.
- I then did this game on the Sunday. There was a mass brawl in the first half - not wanting to put myself in further danger, I abandoned the game, got the shirt numbers of the instigators and left.
- I was contacted by my County FA to advise me that I had the shirt numbers mixed up and subsequently changed my report.

To answer your question - if you refuse to attend, you would be charged for a breach of the referee regulations, depending on the outcome of that you could be suspended and/or fined, and as Minty said, failure to pay any fine would mean suspension from all footballing activities until it was paid.

Personally, refusing to go sounds rather petty to me, but whatever floats your boat.

I was threatened 2-3 times over the years, I even swerved two punches thrown at me, its never nice, at any level. I perfectly understand your retirement plan but it would be good just to underline the details above before you depart as others have said...You're not on trial, they are.... Do the right thing and finish the job... Your call....

You are perfectly entitled to say "am unable to attend and I have nothing to add to my report but I will be happy to respond to any communication received..."

If its not you that's on trail as such, you cannot be forced to attend, you can of course be requested too.....

You are perfectly entitled to say "am unable to attend and I have nothing to add to my report but I will be happy to respond to any communication received..."

If its not you that's on trail as such, you cannot be forced to attend, you can of course be requested too.....

Not in England you aren't, that is classed as having committed a technical irregularity, as below. The rules state that "The Association, Affiliated Association or Service Association, as appropriate, shall have the power to act at any time in relation to the registration of a Referee who has", amongst other things, committed a technical irregularity.

A technical irregularity under 7 (a)(ii) above shall be any failure by a Referee to meet any requirement imposed on, or notified to, a Referee by The Association, Affiliated or Service Association as appropriate from time to time.

A “technical irregularity” includes, but is not in any way limited to, any failure to comply with administrative requirements imposed on a Referee such as the requirements to file reports, answer correspondence, attend match venues or disciplinary or regulatory hearings at a particular time, etc or any breach of Regulation 10 or 13.

It sounds like a big issue in your head now I'm sure but just turn up, confirm what was in your report and then go home. It's over then, you can move on with your work on the league committee. It's great that you're staying in football. I've been threatened twice this season,once with someone's head pressed against mine and once by a guy during and after the game. He also threatened to find out where I live and who my family members were. I'm afraid football can be a cess pit in the UK but we can only improve it by influencing it ourselves and to do that we must attend hearings, for better or for worse

I don't feel safe going.
I echo @RustyRef and advise you to talk through these concerns with your County FA discipline department.
I understand you have concerns but your lack of attendance could result in no case being brought against the offender(s) leaving them to commit similar offences in the future.
I am sure others have been in your position before and I doubt it would be the first time the CFA had such a scenario and at a guess would have a protocol to deal with it. At the very least they might be able to offer you some assurances.

Hi all,

What happens if a referee refuses to attend a personal hearing in which they have been asked to attend as a witness?

The likely outcome of the case is that it will dismissed - no fines, no suspension against clubs or players.

You are allowed to take a person with you to the meeting, and the CFA will control the conduct of the meeting.

Back