A&H

Referees strike in Oldham.

The Referee Store
My thoughts that the referees who came in and did the games are a disgrace to their colleagues.

A few years ago, some Bedfordshire referees staged a strike. I was asked, but chose not to join in. My reasons?

Behaviour of some players will not change until the behaviour of some referees changes.

What do I mean? Sending in misconduct reports. Too may referees opt not to report cautions and send-offs. The perception then becomes that a card means nothing because no punishment comes from it.

Refusing to referee certain teams because of persistent poor behaviour will receive 100% support from me every time. An outright strike will not.

I agree with Tealeaf entirely. We cannot, as a group, allow players to get away with poor behaviour every day, letting it get to a boiling point, and then stage a strike action. We need to be firm and, most importantly, consistent in our application of both the LotG and the regional guidelines which we deal with.

So, if your employer, in this case the league as they appoint you to the games, fails to look after your welfare, you don't consider yourself able to withdraw your labour?

How sad.

The referees involved in this obviously have a genuine concern for their safety if these individuals are allowed back on a pitch......they have taken the ultimate action of withdrawing their services from that league.......what gives any other referee the right to undermine them by accepting those fixtures?
Probably the £20-30 match fee i guess!

A few years ago, some Bedfordshire referees staged a strike. I was asked, but chose not to join in. My reasons?

Behaviour of some players will not change until the behaviour of some referees changes.

What do I mean? Sending in misconduct reports. Too may referees opt not to report cautions and send-offs. The perception then becomes that a card means nothing because no punishment comes from it.

Refusing to referee certain teams because of persistent poor behaviour will receive 100% support from me every time. An outright strike will not.

Do you have some sort of evidence that the referees involved in this "strike" have not been sending in reports?

Or is it just a generalised slur designed to undermine any sympathy people might have a for their cause?

Please read carefully what I said. I would support the refusal to referee that particular side. I would not support a general strike. As for evidence, no I do not have evidence that those referees directly involved in the strike do not send in their reports. However it is an undisputed fact that there are those amongst the fraternity who do not send them in on a regular basis.

Back