A&H

Refereeing Open Age Football

IrkRef

lkref
Hi guys, I'm 16 and have been refereeing since February 2014. As this season has drawn to a close, I have started to think forward to next season. I am currently contemplating doing open age men's football and wondered if you guys recommend me taking the plunge? I have been placed in the county development programme for next season and also do a lot of AR on the Women's Premier League currently too, just thinking forward to next March when the promotion season starts again, tempted about L7 to L6 but please do offer your advice!

The Referee Store
I'd start by doing some lines on your local OA league which has NARs. It will give you a good idea of what you need to do differently when you do start to ref OA football. My 1st season was all youth, last year did some OA lines and will probably start in the middle next season. I know others who have gone straight in to it but the hare and the tortoise and all that.

The Coventry Alliance is your local Saturday afternoon league, starts in early August. Start out doing lines and tell him when you're ready to step up.

The Coventry Alliance is your local Saturday afternoon league, starts in early August. Start out doing lines and tell him when you're ready to step up.
That's sound advice and I followed a similar path last season. I spoke to the local Saturday league appointments secretary and let him know my thinking. He gave me AR duties with some senior L5 referees and later in the season I picked up a few middles myself.
Being AR helps you assess the standard of play, the level of discipline and a chance to observe more senior referees in action. I knew when I was ready to step up.

I took the plunge straight away in men's Sunday league ... throw a baby into a pool, it'll sink or swim ...

I sank for a while ha-ha

In our association, in addition to the AR advice as above, all junior referees (and newer senior) are started on Open Age Women before they get Open Age Men. Our local constitution considers our members as 'junior' until they reach the age of 19.

This is particularly useful since it serves as a confidence booster and practice on player management on less intense environments.

Not too many of our juniors are put on Open Age Men games.

This is particularly useful since it serves as a confidence booster and practice on player management on less intense environments
And allows those 16-18 year old referees the opportunity to easily widen their 'social circle' ;):)

Reactions: one
I started refereeing open age football at 16 I went from kids straight to open age, Ye I may of made the step up to quick and for the 1st season it was tough but its made me the referee I am today. Chuck yourself in the deep end its not going to be easy no but you will be glad you have done it in a few years time. Good luck

@zac bamber Its good to read that has worked for you. However it could also mean some of our members could be lost to the trade forever. Each case has to be assessed individually. Some have the character to rise up to the challenge. Some have to take their time.

Back