A&H

Referee -> VAR conversations to be broadcast post match in the PL

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Interesting. I'd certainly watch them.

Also the Times but behind a paywall:

The Referee Store
Suspect Webb returning to England and joining PGMOL is a big driver of this - he's overseen similar in the MLS and it seems to have been received well, not a surprise at all that he'd be keen on similar here.

I guess my question is will it be only the audio or will we get to see the video that the VAR looked at while making their decision like we see in other competitions.

Also will it be only situations where the var decided to get involved? Will it be situations that are considered controversial? Will they release the audio/video on situations where the var decided it wasn't an error but people disagree?

I guess my question is will it be only the audio or will we get to see the video that the VAR looked at while making their decision like we see in other competitions.

Also will it be only situations where the var decided to get involved? Will it be situations that are considered controversial? Will they release the audio/video on situations where the var decided it wasn't an error but people disagree?
If my Webb theory is correct, we might be lucky enough to get something along these lines

Probably Howard Webb’s influence beginning to show through. PRO have done this in Major League Soccer for a few seasons under his tenure as GM.
TBH It’s hard to imagine PGMOL being so candid and open to these ideas under previous regimes.

If my Webb theory is correct, we might be lucky enough to get something along these lines

Perhaps but those videos also come out 7 to 14 days after the matches are played. I'm not sure if that will be accepted in the biggest league in the world. PRO also only covers situations where the VAR got involved and rarely talks about situations where the VAR decided not to get involved which are much more common in the Premier League due to the high level for intervention.

There are many questions and I guess we will see next week how they are going to deal with it. Perhaps things will change during the season as they figure out what they want to do.

I think it’s going to be interesting. My sense is that PL use of VAR has been much worse than in many other places. Hopefully Webb helps drive improvement. If not, those audios may be entertain for all the wrong reasons.

Perhaps but those videos also come out 7 to 14 days after the matches are played. I'm not sure if that will be accepted in the biggest league in the world. PRO also only covers situations where the VAR got involved and rarely talks about situations where the VAR decided not to get involved which are much more common in the Premier League due to the high level for intervention.

There are many questions and I guess we will see next week how they are going to deal with it. Perhaps things will change during the season as they figure out what they want to do.
Oh absolutely, but anything even remotely along the lines of that video would be worlds ahead of what we have now. Of course it could always be better - but a basic level of explanation and clarity like that would be a good start.

Back