A&H

Referee Kit

Charlie Jones

Work Until You Don't Have To Introduce Yourself
hi guys

just a quick one...is there any rule for Sunday league football that says the man in the middle must only wear black, regardless of the teams kits?

for example...if i took charge of a red v blue game, would i be allowe dto wear a yellow shirt with the custom black shorts and socks?

wondering if its worth buying a yellow/grey/purple shirt to shake things up a bit every once in a while

thanks

The Referee Store
FA rules state that all officials must wear black (or black with white collar).
The ONLY exceptions to this are for games involving PGMOL officials or the PL/FL u21/18 leagues.

righteo...but the likely hood of being reported in a Sunday league game?

could anyone see any actual 'real life' issues?

Never good to have anything that players or team officials can hold over you. There is always the chance a smart Alec knows the rules regarding kit and decides post match to report you - a couple of unliked decisions will do that. :)

Up to you of course, but it does seem to be inviting problems. And buying a kit you could potentially never wear...

actually whilst im on the subject of kit...

can i ask...what happens in the event that a team does break league ruiles (i know they are not allowed colour that potentially clash with the ref) - is this an abandon match?

actually whilst im on the subject of kit...

can i ask...what happens in the event that a team does break league ruiles (i know they are not allowed colour that potentially clash with the ref) - is this an abandon match?
You'd have to check league rules. But, personally, I always did anything to get the game on. So, I'd either wear a bib or my yellow shirt that I happened to own. I'd then report it to the league that they wore black

Play it, report it to the league. I once refereed a game where the away team wore black and white stripes, black shorts, black socks, but the back of the shirts were solid black. All the players said it was hard to differentiate me from the away team. I got a couple of short passes during the game, and I was marked at a corner!

Local Cfa guidelines are no referee wears a bib - The team changes. Now the team should have had their kit inspected and passed as okay by the league at the beginning of the season, so go figure how this situation arises every season.

It is a clear disadvantage to have a referee running around looking like an opponent.

so maybe its worth...to save any arguements, wasting a journey, and have an upset (and deservidly so) oppostion that has abided by the rules..is it worth spending a spare £30 and just having a differant coloured shirt, and like Dan said, only use it if and when the situation arised but ensure i mark it in the match report?

I wouldn't do it. Stay in black, The team changes. They moan, but they always seem to be able to find a spare kit.

so maybe its worth...to save any arguements, wasting a journey, and have an upset (and deservidly so) oppostion that has abided by the rules..is it worth spending a spare £30 and just having a differant coloured shirt, and like Dan said, only use it if and when the situation arised but ensure i mark it in the match report?
I had one because I was given one by an FL official.
As a L4 ref, I also officiated in u18, u21 & WSL where teams are permitted to wear black and supply the officials with a kit that doesn't clash.

Your local CFA rules may differ from that of Supermonkey's, so you might be entitled to wear a bib.

Alternatively, you wear black, they wear black and it gets reported!

:confused:
FA rules state that all officials must wear black (or black with white collar).
The ONLY exceptions to this are for games involving PGMOL officials or the PL/FL u21/18 leagues.

You'd have to check league rules. But, personally, I always did anything to get the game on. So, I'd either wear a bib or my yellow shirt that I happened to own. I'd then report it to the league that they wore black

:confused::confused:

For the OP, you could get away with the black Adidas shirt....it has a small amount of dark purple on it, but as the regs say predominantly black.....I defy anyone to suggest it isn't predominantly black!

Yes, Padfoot? Never said I followed FA regs to the letter, did I?
I always refereed in black, unless a team rocked up in black. I'd then wear yellow and report it to the league & CFA. Had anyone from CFA turned up, I'd have explained my reasoning!

Gents - I've found one of the illusive "LWR" or the commoner-garden Last weeks ref. The one that we all have to live upto and be compared to when we turn up to do the job.

And as an added ertra, it's the same ones that causes the ref's S ec to send out the patronising emails abouts kits, standards etc that we get every season and wonder either what more can we do or, who is the dodo that keeps doing this and getting us the league bollocking each year!

Well, here he is in full bloom!

And this 'LWR' achieved L4 status at the age of 20 and went on to officiate a number of big Contrib games.

This 'LWR' would much prefer to see a game go ahead on a Sunday morning than postponed because some manager is a pillock and has a black kit for his players. If you want to turn up and call it off, then you do that. But I'll play it and report it after!

And this 'LWR' achieved L4 status at the age of 20 and went on to officiate a number of big Contrib games.

This 'LWR' would much prefer to see a game go ahead on a Sunday morning than postponed because some manager is a pillock and has a black kit for his players. If you want to turn up and call it off, then you do that. But I'll play it and report it after!

I really don't think the first paragraph is at all relevant, other than to demonstrate an attitude that I have remarked upon before for young over promoted referees, not specifically Dan, but the general attitude of 'we know it all because....'

I'm sure we've all been guilty of being LWR at one stage or another and somewhat surprisingly, I find myself in agreement with Dan.....I know, I know, it's going take another cuppa for me to come terms with that....but there you go.

This is why I have long held the view that referees should be allowed to wear a coloured shirt. We are there to facilitate a game of football, and anything that enables us to do that cannot be a bad thing.

That said, I would never wear a bib......

Back