A&H

Referee-Inactive - Training 4.13

5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Training is rarely fun at the best of times and when you have to train on your own, it's that little bit harder. Tonight, for a variety of reasons all my training partners had to be elsewhere so I trotted down to the field on my own.

I had plenty to think of while training (slightly more than ... breathe in, breathe out) as I had managed to cross a few things off the "To Do" list. I'd finally completed my son's passport renewal, sent off his request for leave during term time to his school, booked some additional days in the school holidays, booked a double day ticket to Alton Towers and also an overnight hotel stop in between.

I also managed to pick up a session next Thursday delivering some training to a promotion seminar. Last year I helped those hoping to go from level 7-6 get a basic understanding of the assessment process, the assessor and the assessor's report. This year it's identifying handball, based on a training session delivered to the National List Referees, Panel List Referees and the National List Assessors for the candidates hoping to go from 6-5.

I've still got 2 days holiday booked at the end of August to look forward to as well, in case I have enough money to get tickets to the Leeds Festival. But back to tonight's training ... with just me to keep myself in check I needed a simple routine to follow and they don't come much simpler than run a while, rest a while, run some more, rest some more, etc.

I did my warm up run on just over 5 and 1/2 minutes, then my shuttles and was ready for the main event after 11 minutes. I ran for 2 minutes, walked for 1 minute and repeated this 3 times with an extra 2 minute rest after the 4th run, taking my walking time to 3 minutes. That was one set and I did a further 2 sets after that. My pace was pretty even, except when covering the hilly part of the field, so that I covered roughly the same distance on all three sets. Well that's not entirely true ... set one was about 50m longer than sets 2 and 3.

I did my usual warm down walk and jog but finished off with some deep stretches. Since being ill last weekend, I've found my muscles are grumbling even after the slightest of exertions, so I tried to give the major groups a good stretch off before heading home.

Calories 1017, average heart rate 83%. Click the picture for a larger version

1430959096615306100-5525427207631392900

The Referee Store
Back