A&H

Referee Explaining Decisions

GraemeS

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Australian A-league football again being innovative when it comes to fan engagement with referees:

Think this is a good idea? This referee comes across well and does a good job, but I worry that a fumbled or poorly-worded explanation might make things worse. Also helps that he's able to discuss what he saw on the VAR screen...

The Referee Store
Comes across great here because he's eloquent and is clearly good at explaining certain decisions in law in layman's terms, esp. with the handball.

Problem comes if your referee sounds thick (like most of the BT/Sky pundits) or they're not that good at communicating the laws, as I suspect we'll have in England.

It definitely helps with transparency and accountability though. I love it.

Just posted another thread about this match, because I thought about a bit of an inconsistency watching this match.

I do think this is a good idea for transparency and accountability. Questioning referee decisions in the media seems to be a big past-time in all Australian sports, but it only seems that football lets the referee speak directly to the media, other sports usually go through the referee boss the next day.
Same referee has come out last season to explain his decisions (can't attach the sole video, but embedded in this article)

If you get to watch a replay and still think that's a handball then post match interviews are the least of your problems!
Astonishing decison

Thought I might as well merge the discussions into one

MINI MATCH OF GAME

The inconsistency to me is the Western Sydney player kicking out at the Adelaide player after being fouled (incident at 3:20 in the attached video)

Then, there is the penalty 6 minutes in, where the fouled player from Adelaide is given a yellow card (After the penalty is taken off camera) for pushing back on the player from Western Sydney who fouled him

Assuming he was given a yellow for pushing back, ,if a little push and shove warrants a yellow card, then surely kicking out at a player would warrant VC, yeah?

Australian A-league football again being innovative when it comes to fan engagement with referees:

Think this is a good idea? This referee comes across well and does a good job, but I worry that a fumbled or poorly-worded explanation might make things worse. Also helps that he's able to discuss what he saw on the VAR screen...

And there you have it... “controversial” decisions... I presume the media will give the same amount of air time to the ref for the game that went without incident - the way he played advantage that led to the goal etc... of course not - the media want controversial - otherwise it makes poor viewing to the uneducated fans! 😤

This has been happening for a few seasons now. There are protocols around it to keep the integrity of the game intact. For example how a question is questions is structured. But the most important one for me is, once a question has been answered, there are no follow up questions on the same incident, e,g, "but if that was the case then...".

Zero chance the thick, obtuse, and baiting English media will ever go for this.

"Referee, please tell us why you gave this CONTROVERSIAL decision?"
- "Because the Laws state if X happens then Y is the result"
"STAY TUNED FOR MORE CONTROVERSY AND HOW THIS REF/VAR RUINED XMAS AFTER DENYING UNITED A GOAL!"

This has been happening for a few seasons now. There are protocols around it to keep the integrity of the game intact. For example how a question is questions is structured. But the most important one for me is, once a question has been answered, there are no follow up questions on the same incident, e,g, "but if that was the case then...".

And the old favourite "But you gave/denied a foul in this other game you reffed three months ago?!!"

"Because it was a different situation, players, context, atmosphere, match" won't cut it.

ARGH.

If the BT Sport 'Celebrity Ref' thing (or Sky Sports 'Ask Dermot') is anything to go by, I don't want to hear the EPL Match Official's game analysis
Besides, >90% of the EPL audience would only be interested in using the analysis as a stick to beat the refs with

Reactions: one
I like the concept. It makes the ref human and educates the viewer.

Tbh there should just be more general education about the LotG by commentators anyway rather than them spewing out cliches or some misremembered Law.

I agree with an earlier comment on here with regards to referees words being used against them. But I also believe that we have a worsening problem with regards to the perception of referees and we'd all like that too change.

I'd like to see a trial period of refs explaining their decisions, should they want to, and see the results. Maybe do it during an FA Cup weekend?

I would like Mike Riley to come out and explain decisions to the media. He's the boss, he tells the referees what to do, but he is pretty much invisible to everyone and that isn't good. And that doesn't just mean explain wrong decisions, but also highlight where referees have done well in making difficult or tricky decisions correctly.

He’s too busy polishing turds at Stockley Park coming out with useless stats as to how much his is far better than before.... I get referee errors, I don’t get or accept belated VAR error apologies, that’s just pathetic!

Collina did it, the MLS do it... it’s about time that the prem did it. Surely it’s easy to justify as it’ll mean more eyeballs, more coverage.

You mean you guys aren't happy with Peter Walton and Dermot Gallaghers analysis?

Them two were fine referees, but they'd make cracking funeral directors!

I would like Mike Riley to come out and explain decisions to the media. He's the boss, he tells the referees what to do, but he is pretty much invisible to everyone and that isn't good. And that doesn't just mean explain wrong decisions, but also highlight where referees have done well in making difficult or tricky decisions correctly.

Yeah. They do the Inside Video Review thing in America where they go through a range of decisions (both right and wrong), offer explanations for them and let you hear some of the audio. I think something like that is long overdue in England. They could do it on their own terms and have the time to properly compile it rather than having to do anything live (which I can understand some people might not be comfortable with or be worried about saying the 'wrong' thing.)

Back