A&H

Referee banned, rock, paper, scissors

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Just read that a referee in the Womens super league game between Man City and Reading forgot his coin at the toss., instead of going back to the changing room or getting one from the side he decided the best way to decide choice of ends-kick off was to play rock, paper, scissors.

Banned by the FA for three weeks.

The Referee Store
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Shame on the other officials for not being able to help out? All it takes is a shout down the comms then go over for "some reason" and grab coin.

Always be prepared in your game, whatever role you are playing. Never ever ever say to ref "do I need my book" or anything similar, yes, yes you do.

Probably shouldn't but I do find this funny. On a "normal" game you'd probably get away with it, but how on earth did he think it would go unnoticed with live TV cameras watching the handshake substitute …. ?!

You would probably get away with two weeks in that case!

3 weeks???!!!! - Very very very harsh!

I think when we look at, someone will correct me am sure, but, is 2 matches for foul abusive at top level England, then, yes, to have done something which might not have looked great but offended nobody etc, , the other thread running about how to control dissent in a game becomes more interesting.
Taking it further, 3 games out for a trivial, if avoidable matter, and we see guys at the very top week in week out affecting results with getting KMI wrong, yet next week, back in the middle they are....

Posted in the other topic on this, but it probably isn't trivial when it is done live on TV and you don't get the most basic of basic laws correct.

I once did a contrib game with a referee who asked us in the tunnel if we had a coin. I'd forgot mine but offered to go back for one, he said no don't worry, so I'd assumed he was doing the what hand is it in trick. So you could imagine mine and the other assistant's surprise when he asked the away captain to call head or tails, knowing as we did that he didn't have a coin. He replied heads, to which the referee pretended to flick a coin and said "heads it is, your choice of ends". One of the funniest things I've ever seen. Home captain said "you can't do that ref", to which he replied "would you have changed end", reply was no, then "excellent, you get a kick off each so lets get on with it". Captains after that thought it was hilarious and the referee had no problems at all in the game. Crucially though, that wasn't on live TV, or indeed on any kind of TV.

On on hand it's harsh compared to what type of offence a player would need to make in order to get what is a 3-5 game ban (taking into account midweek fixtures).

On the other side, it's a basic bit of kit that he should have had it, especially at the top echelons of the game, so I guess they want to send out a strong message

Back