A&H

Referee Award at the Ballon D'Or?

IbrahimB

Aging Newbie
Level 8 Referee
Just curious if you think there should be a Referee award at the Ballon D'Or, as the FIFA Referee of the Year award really has no notoriety/ isn't well known. I'm curious about what your thoughts would be on if it should/shouldn't happen and why. (also wondering if you think it'd make fans and players respect refs more)

The Referee Store
I don't know about Ballon d'Or level but some of the leagues and associations in my area hand out a local referee of the year award. The winner is usually someone considered a safe choice rather than a referee who controversially, but correctly, might have sent off 3 players and disallowed 2 goals in a league play off game. I never won this but personally I am more motivated by the quality of fixtures I am allocated.

Just curious if you think there should be a Referee award at the Ballon D'Or, as the FIFA Referee of the Year award really has no notoriety/ isn't well known. I'm curious about what your thoughts would be on if it should/shouldn't happen and why. (also wondering if you think it'd make fans and players respect refs more)
That can’t even vote for the best player in the world properly. Do you imagine they’d be able to pick a referee?

Sure they do. They spend lots of time telling us how awful we are! But the reason they don't want to have a Ballon d'Or for refs is that every one of us is the worst they have ever seen, so there is no one to give it to!

🤣 this is true. Any referee that is voted for by the players as being the best is almost certainly not going to be the best anyway!

Perhaps we could have all the refs voting for the best, but that would be bitchier than the actual balloon d'or 🤣

Imagine the potential fall out if it ever leaked which clubs/players voted for which referees though!

Imagine Anthony Taylor wins it and it comes out that Liverpool voted for and Man City didn't. Anthony Taylor then officiates a game involving one or both of the sides and makes a controversial decision that directly impacts the result (penalty, RC etc).
There's be huge potential for claims that he was bias because X,Y & Z voted from him.

I'm not for one minute suggesting any referee would act in favour of any club based on voting as such an award but the press would have a field day!

I spend the majority of my games trying to stay out of the spotlight and not be the centre of attention, the last thing I'd want is a bloody presentation, trophy and speech!!

Imagine the potential fall out if it ever leaked which clubs/players voted for which referees though!

Imagine Anthony Taylor wins it and it comes out that Liverpool voted for and Man City didn't. Anthony Taylor then officiates a game involving one or both of the sides and makes a controversial decision that directly impacts the result (penalty, RC etc).
There's be huge potential for claims that he was bias because X,Y & Z voted from him.

I'm not for one minute suggesting any referee would act in favour of any club based on voting as such an award but the press would have a field day!

I spend the majority of my games trying to stay out of the Am spotlight and not be the centre of attention, the last thing I'd want is a bloody presentation, trophy and speech!!

I dont know how its complied but Germany certainly do an annual referee of the year,, without google, I think Italy do too

So does MLS in the US. I believe it is something like PRO (the Professional Referee Organization that manages referees) nominates a few and the players vote from that list. Often the winner also referees the MLS Cup final playoff game.

Back