A&H

Referee and wrong decisions

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Saw this and thought this is probably a fair assessment.

Copied and pasted, so not my own writing.

I read something recently, and wish I kept the link, that a match was analysed (apparently watched several times for accuracy) and a referee made approximately 400 decisions (that is whether to give a foul or not to give a foul, to caution/send off or not to card at all, how to restart play with direction of throw in, corner or goal kick etc)

He got about 5 wrong, in the opinion of the viewer.

But the media jumped on 2 of those 5 wrong. 1 was a penalty that should have been awarded. It seems the referees angle was not better than a tv angle.

Apparently a keeper made about 100 judgements in that game (and they included whether he should have come out for the ball or stayed in his area, releasing ball slowly or quickly, over hitting/throwing a ball released, fouling (that penalty not given) and whether the keeper should have caught or punched/palm the ball away).The viewer said the keeper made about 40 wrong decisions. But they were never picked up on by the media, despite one that should have been a penalty, and one goal being scored because of a poor clearance by the keeper.

The referee was ridiculed for not giving a penalty but the keeper was not talked about for his clumsiness to commit the foul in the first place. The referee made about 1.25% decisions wrong. The keeper made 40% decisions wrong.

Again this is just the view of the person who analysed it.

But the referee hit the media and not the keeper (player).

Players make much more wrong decisions in the heat of the moment than a referee does.

What are your thoughts on this?

The Referee Store
We all know this, players don't give away penalties referees cheat and awarded them.

If referees were going to be more pro-active, we should create highlights reel of players mistakes and show at the Eve of the Cup rally / post on YouTube with the expected wages of the players

I use this argument when people say referees should be suspended for making mistakes. Does the striker who misses an open goal get suspended by his club, so of course he doesn't. Was Mahrez suspended for missing the penalty so badly they are still looking for the ball? No.

Was Mahrez suspended for missing the penalty so badly they are still looking for the ball? No.

I would view the penalty miss, the same as if the referee failed to award the original penalty. So, Mahrez should be stood down for the next match and play for Bury FC 😂

On a much simpler level, match statistics usually quote the number of shots and number of shots per team. Typically shots on target are around 30-40%.

Great post and I’d used similar words and numbers in an argument a few years ago. 400 + decisions all spot on, the one or two that work against the erratic team and you’re a waster, they miss chances, no one blinks, we err and they go into ref meltdown! Pretty pathetic really! I blame Sky! Before their great supporters coverage we could get away with a lot more, now they analyze everything to a level that’s just unfair to officials that see it for a fraction of a second with head movements and players crossing etc. 100% unfair and not necessary!

Referees are ridiculed if they get one thing wrong all game.
Strikers are celebrated as a a hero if they get one thing right all game.
Who would be a ref??

Back