A&H

Ref in the way

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
86CE0846-DE17-4575-8B2A-2E9FA19A22FE.jpeg
As a separate thread to this actual game and talking generally, Is John Fleck (or any player) allowed to remove (in a non violent way) the referee out of his way,,???...

I had a few accidental clashes with players over the years either by me tracking backwards or just too close to play and we played on, but what's the actual guidance after this unintentional assist to a tight game last night!!!

The Referee Store
I always say to players if I get too close to them to shout at me next time if they think I am in their way. I don't mind them non-violently moving me, much better that than they clatter straight through me to get the ball.

I do think the player making the pass here has to take some of the blame. He can surely see that Kavanagh is between the ball and Fleck, it isn't as if he can just make himself disappear

I guess it depends what the player thinks is "non-violent", personally if I've got myself in a pickle, and a player grabs me by the shoulders and moves me out of the way, not pushing or throwing etc, then I'd be inclined to let that go, apologize at a break in play and hopefully have a laugh about it.

I've seen a video, maybe from an international where the ref is in the way, and he just ends up standing still and letting the player work it out, rather than them both trying to get out of each others way.

I guess it depends what the player thinks is "non-violent", personally if I've got myself in a pickle, and a player grabs me by the shoulders and moves me out of the way, not pushing or throwing etc, then I'd be inclined to let that go, apologize at a break in play and hopefully have a laugh about it.

I've seen a video, maybe from an international where the ref is in the way, and he just ends up standing still and letting the player work it out, rather than them both trying to get out of each others way.

Standing still is generally the best option, but that doesn't work if the ball is in front of you and the player behind as happened here.

Standing still is generally the best option, but that doesn't work if the ball is in front of you and the player behind as happened here.
I had a situation where a player cannoned into the back of me from a throw in. It lead to him getting sin binned for dissent and then 3 minutes into his sit down he committed an act of VC and was sent off.

Found out after the game that prior to the game I’d insisted that a couple of children were not allowed in the dugout to shelter from the rain during the game and the player in question was the father of said children.... draw your own conclusions!

I had a situation where a player cannoned into the back of me from a throw in. It lead to him getting sin binned for dissent and then 3 minutes into his sit down he committed an act of VC and was sent off.

Found out after the game that prior to the game I’d insisted that a couple of children were not allowed in the dugout to shelter from the rain during the game and the player in question was the father of said children.... draw your own conclusions!
Think I'd have done the same if they were my kids...

I have no issues with a player moving me out of the way, even if on occasion it has been a bit robust. The way I see it, in most cases (maybe not the dugout example above) they're not doing it with the intention to harm, just doing it as they want to keep playing and not have their movement interrupted. While we have a right to be on the pitch, we shouldn't also being interfering with play. So if a player needs to move me aside because I've got in the way, I'm OK with that.

I have no issues with a player moving me out of the way, even if on occasion it has been a bit robust. The way I see it, in most cases (maybe not the dugout example above) they're not doing it with the intention to harm, just doing it as they want to keep playing and not have their movement interrupted. While we have a right to be on the pitch, we shouldn't also being interfering with play. So if a player needs to move me aside because I've got in the way, I'm OK with that.
Fair point, but whenever I find myself either in the way or getting hit by the ball it's usually because a player has made a terrible pass. There is also the player with two left feet who hasn't a clue what he's going to do and I'm expected to know where he's kicking the ball to.

There is also the player with two left feet who hasn't a clue what he's going to do and I'm expected to know where he's kicking the ball to.
Usually this is the player who moans when you don’t play an advantage. “Mate, I’ve seen you play. Have a free chance to lump it in the box.” 😂😂😂

Back