A&H

Red or Yellow

HoofItYouDonkey

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
Please settle an argument...
Ball going in the goal, player uses his hand, ball stays in play and a goal is then scored from the rebound.
Red or yellow for the defender?

The Referee Store
Please settle an argument...
Ball going in the goal, player uses his hand, ball stays in play and a goal is then scored from the rebound.
Red or yellow for the defender?
So the first question is, 'was the player guilty of a handball offence'?
Assuming that it was HB, that implies that advantage has been played and the DOGSO-HB would be downgraded to a USB caution

So the first question is, 'was the player guilty of a handball offence'?
Assuming that it was HB, that implies that advantage has been played and the DOGSO-HB would be downgraded to a USB caution
But this was "denying a goal" not "denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity".

One of the worst written sections in law. Some DOGSO are only cautions , so we downgrade a caution to another caution? But I digress.

For the OP, caution offender for USB.

One for the historians

When this dogso handball was rolled out in 2000 or whenever it was, the laws were taught ( disclaimer, this applied to where I am, it might have been taught different elsewhere) that a red card was the course of action

which meant, shot, clearly handled preventing goal, ball drops to striker, goal and a red card.

happened least twice in the top league, guidance changed few weeks into the season

With things like this think about it logically. Did it deny a goal, no as one was immediately scored after. Yes you could say it denied a goal scoring opportunity, but it really didn't as another was presented straight away.

This is why you should always try to give yourself time when there is handling on the line. There is nothing worse than blowing too quickly and then seeing the ball immediately knocked into the goal. You've gone from goal and a caution, and no one really complaining, to upsetting the attacking team by disallowing a goal, and upsetting the defending team by turning the yellow to red. Trust me, I've done this, including in a high profile game with 1,000 spectators, and you just want the ground to open up and swallow you.

Goal ain't scored? - Red.

Goal scored? - Yellow (With a ... "consider yourself lucky the ball ended up in the back of the net mate" verbal message). 😎👍⚽

Back