A&H

Record Keepers

JamesL

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Start of a new tax year and end of season upon us I am reviewing my record keeping.

Currently tracking:
Total number of games
Games reffed
Games assisted

Date/teams/mileage/fee/score/yellows/reds/distance/ max speed/observer marks expenditure/competition

What are our other record keepers keeping a track of?

I use my own spreadsheet and add data in each game.

The Referee Store
I'm seriously considering a new smartwatch this summer, in part so that I can commit to doing all my matches through refsix and then have the app track all this stuff.

My age and how many years I have left 🤣
Your age changes on a match by match basis? Certainly feels like it sometimes... I'm flexible about my retirement. Will go until the legs say no more. 😁

Reactions: one
I'm seriously considering a new smartwatch this summer, in part so that I can commit to doing all my matches through refsix and then have the app track all this stuff.
I'm wedded to Polar as I do a lot of running outside reffing and it allows me to have sport specific profiles. Plus I just really love their watches.
I also don't ever see a future for me and refsix, certainly not in game anyway.

Your age changes on a match by match basis? Certainly feels like it sometimes... I'm flexible about my retirement. Will go until the legs say no more. 😁
Same. I enjoy it too much to give it up easily.

I finally took the plunge and spent some serious penny on a Garmin 6S pro solar to replace my broken Spinsto, at half price I might add. It's in the mail. I might give @socal lurker's recommended ref app a go.

Hopefully not off topic but last week I had a clear out, including match programs of games I recall nothing about.

A very weird feeling having it in print that you were at xxxxxxxx with xxxxxx and xxx xxxx, but, remembering nothing about it

I'm wedded to Polar as I do a lot of running outside reffing and it allows me to have sport specific profiles. Plus I just really love their watches.
I also don't ever see a future for me and refsix, certainly not in game anyway.
I've used it on the line with no issues (other than those caused by my watch freezing and running out of power too quickly!). Less sure about middles - I did have one game where it worked excellently, including one kid who genuinely stopped disputing his caution to be impressed by me recording it on my watch! But I can certainly sympathise with people not being keen on it.

It will take me a while before I become fully reliant on my watch for recording. I have seen too many technology fails creating disasters to fully trust it.

I use my own spreadsheet and add data in each game.

Nice. I just use the RefStat one in the resources page on here.

I like the breakdown of cautions and dismissals by code - interesting to see how dissent numbers fluctuate each season.

I become fully reliant on my watch for recording.

Had a lino using refsix on the watch the other day, I'm not keen on it, as it looked like he needed to look down to enter the results/subs, taking his eyes off the players. It just seemed quicker to be old fashioned and used pen and paper.

Perhaps the young uns are faster with the tech though, so I'll wait and see how others get by.

I like the breakdown of cautions and dismissals by code - interesting to see how dissent numbers fluctuate each season.

Had a lino using refsix on the watch the other day, I'm not keen on it, as it looked like he needed to look down to enter the results/subs, taking his eyes off the players. It just seemed quicker to be old fashioned and used pen and paper.

Perhaps the young uns are faster with the tech though, so I'll wait and see how others get by.
Love the idea of RefSix but doesn’t quite do it right. I just use it for sinbin timing and do everything else on write-on cards.

i ran line to a guy who used the fancy watch but.....

also put the stuff into his book, in fear of he watch failing!

negating imo, the whole purpose of using the watch! no benefit at all

Having used Refsix for over 3 years now, not once has it missed a beat. I write all of my cautions on my cards as per procedure, but then enter them onto the watch. It was my spintso S1 pro that let me down last weekend, didnt like getting wet, turned off and wouldnt turn back on

I have my own spreadsheet that records my fixtures, role (R, AR, 4th, Tournament), fees and all discipline. It also breaks down the discipline by. This last thing allows me to spot trends which satisfies my curiosity more than anything. Especially in red cards - each season there tends to be one that crops up more than others.

Ref Six is great in my opinion. Use it during the game both in the middle and on the line just for timings and keeping score.

Subs, cautions, etc I do by hand still on cards / in book - then add them in to the app afterwards.

Never let me down in terms of crashing, battery dying, playing up in the rain, etc. but don’t like the idea of fiddling around with a watch for misconduct and anything that takes more than a couple of presses of the screen in a few seconds.

Don't take this as an attack, but this comment really confused me - you don't look down to use a pen and paper? How does that work and what does the notepad look like at the end of a game?

Even when using pen and paper, I either have names pre-written or a specific place to put them, and similarly a tally of goals is always in a specific place, all of which requires looking down and finding the appropriate place to make notes.

Don't take this as an attack, but this comment really confused me - you don't look down to use a pen and paper? How does that work and what does the notepad look like at the end of a game?

No worries, I'm probably not explaining myself clearly;

So, at training at the moment, it is pointed out that most referees with a notebook will hold the book out and look down as they jot down the details (something I did, and still do).

We're taught to hold the paper out and upwards, so it's eye level and in line with the FOP, so whilst we're writing the information down, we still have some vision of the FOP and we're not looking downwards, rather you're looking straight ahead. Obviously, you need a good solid match wallet for this I reckon!

I am still adjusting to that style of writing.

Does that make sense?

I had the same intention but after a few games reverted back to pen and paper!
RefSix is great for things like multiple timers, sin bin timers and heat maps etc but it’s a pain in the a**e for cards and subs when you’re in the middle.

I only use it fully if I’m on the line as you’ve got a bit more time and less eyes on you! If I’m in the middle then I’ll record goals, and sin bins on it. Everything else is added to my notebook and then you can manually add the events to RefSix afterwards.

Yeah that does make more sense - I had visions of you intently staring at a player you were booking and just writing random numbers and details at normal writing level! I'm still not totally convinced (I think that would look very odd as described), but at least understand what you're getting at now!

Yeah that does make more sense - I had visions of you intently staring at a player you were booking and just writing random numbers and details at normal writing level! I'm still not totally convinced (I think that would look very odd as described), but at least understand what you're getting at now!
The image I have is very odd too...

Back