A&H

Really New

Emma Shoobert

Hello, my name is Emma and I am 15 years old.Football has been my passion for a very long time. I have never played the game for a club but am constantly in the garden playing, unfortunately I can't play for a team as I spend my time doing other commitments. I am also a season ticket holder for my favorite team. I recently started my refereeing career by refereeing my local Under- tens team. I refereed the second half of a friendly game. I found I lacked confidence and was very nervous. I was wondering if you had any advice to give me and I am new to everything. Thank you, Emma. :)

The Referee Store
Try watching other refs doing games of the same age group it will help massively. Other then that just keep going it gets easier with practise

Welcome to the Forum Emma, don't worry, we all started somewhere, we all have nerves, even the top refs get them too.
Keep practicing and reading up on the Laws and you'll slowly improve, ask for some help from your County FA or school or friends, i'm sure they'll be happy to help... Well done for asking.... its a good trait....

Hello, my name is Emma and I am 15 years old.Football has been my passion for a very long time. I have never played the game for a club but am constantly in the garden playing, unfortunately I can't play for a team as I spend my time doing other commitments. I am also a season ticket holder for my favorite team. I recently started my refereeing career by refereeing my local Under- tens team. I refereed the second half of a friendly game. I found I lacked confidence and was very nervous. I was wondering if you had any advice to give me and I am new to everything. Thank you, Emma. :)
And if you are in Hertfordshire, don't hesitate to contact Phil Sharp, the Referee Development Officer who will, I'm sure be very helpful and supportive :)

Hiya, and welcome to the club. As the others have said, confidence will come with practice: the more you ref, the more comfortable you will be. That being said, I'll give you 5 points of advice that are quite basic, as you're probably looking for concrete tips. Don't focus on all 5 at a time: each time you go out on the field, try to give yourself one thing to think of (which can be really basic - these 5 are examples of that).
1- Practice your whistling off the field. Whistling properly (with a Fox 40, for instance) takes practice, and you will seem and feel instantly more confident and more respected if you whistle properly. With a Fox 40 (or any pealess whistle), you purse your lips and try to blow as sharply and narrowly, almost like spitting (or playing a woodwind instrument).
2- Make all necessary signals - remember which those are, and practice them in a mirror. It does make a difference whether a signal is done lazily or sharply. You are a referee, and communicate primarily through your whistle and signals.
3- You don't need to be in a hurry. Take a second extra and think through the correct decision. For instance, on a throw-in, wait a second, decide who gets the ball, and make your signal, in that order, instead of hurrying to make a signal, realising you're wrong, and switching sides. The players will accept you taking your time and being right, and prefer that too indecisiveness.
4- Try to think about whether you are in the best position to take the most probable decision. A good position has two main criteria: 1) it offers you a good vision of the play (and where play is going, if you can); 2) it is adaptable, meaning it allows you to change quickly if play comes your way, or if it moves quickly. So, for instance, you want to avoid getting caught along the touchline (since you can't move if the ball comes your way), particularly if the ball is on the other side (you can't see if the ball is out on the right touch line if you are close to the left one).
5- Take the habit, at every stoppage, to look around the field (if you can). Coaches will appreciate if you acknowledge when they want to sub, and it will avoid a lot of anxiety for everyone if you spot injured players early (especially with kids); parents tend to get nervous when players are injured. And for you, it reassures you that everything is fine, and that everyone can concentrate on soccer.

As for your feedback for yourself, I'd advise you to put it in concrete terms. Not "this game was crap" but "I did not position myself properly". That way, it gives you clear things to improve for the next game. Similarly, if you do a good game, focus on drawing out 2-3 elements that worked well and that you can reinforce again (and then, when you feel a game is going badly, go back to those 2-3 positive points).

Most importantly, enjoy your time on the field, and ask for advice from other referees, referee supervisors, and here.

Have a commentary running in your head, strong hand signals, strong whistle. A big one is too smile. That gives confidence to you and the players. Also at mini soccer talk to the players. the confidence comes with practise and don't dwell on mistakes as that will mean you will make more as you are still thinking about the mistake. Also at youth level if there are numptys on the sidelines go the coach early and get him to sort it, at youth kids are not normally the issue.

Good luck Emma. It's perfectly common to be nervous - it happens to everyone.

With most things we do we get the opportunity to practice before doing it for real - it's a bit different with refereeing - you only get to do it in a match! As others said, all you can do is watch other refs, talk to other refs, start to understand some of the details... you'll be fine :)

Welcome to the forum and the weird and wonderful world of refereeing Emma.

Echo what the others have said and good luck! :D

Welcome :)

Keep doing what you're doing. It's great to see more females picking up the whistle :)

well done @Emma Shoobert !
the very best of luck to you with everything.
i'd recommend you get in touch (if you havent done so already) with your local referee association.
You should find a lot of experienced guys (girls) there willing and able to help you. At the very least, to reassure you that whilst you may feel quite lonely out there with the whistle in hand, you've actually got plenty of people willing to look out for you.

Back