A&H

Real Madrid penalty

es1

RefChat Addict
A bit going on here...

Penalty passed to benzema who scores.

Benzema encroached massively. Defensive players also in the box before the kick is taken but don't come near challenging for the ball.

Is retake the right restart in law? I've checked lotg and if both teams commit an offence then a retake is correct but does the minor encroachment by the defending players really mean retake? Seems incredibly harsh

Video of incident

The Referee Store
I would hope the VAR has a big enough screen to not make that mistake! The only thing that seems possible is the R ruled encroachment by both teams. The defender's encroachment would never be called on its own, but it does seem common to have a minor encroachment offset a major encroachment. (The only other explanation is that the R made a glaring mistake of law and the VAR somehow missed it, too, which seems unlikely at that level.--though stranger things have happened.)

There was a bit of tongue in cheek there. I was referring to a mistake of considering the goal scored from the penalty even though a pass was made and they (referee or VAR) had seen the pass. It is such a common mistake even at the highest level. So I would not dismiss the assumption that the referee retook the kick without considering an encroachment by defenders but because he thought a goal was scored from the penalty after an offence by attackers.

Last edited:
Aside from anything else, I think this behaviour is disrespectful to the opposition

Back